Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else suffer from MUCH worse symptoms during their menstrual cycle? I actually have to do my Lamaze breathing exercises when I have a BM during my first couple of days. For years, my Dr. was under the assumption that I had endometriosis, but just last year I was diagnosed with diverticulosis (which turned into diverticulitis 4 separate times) that was caused by my IBS. I guess I'm still wondering if hormones during that time of the month is aggravating it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Iris,YES! I have that and more. A lot of women without IBS have bowel irregularities with their cycle. There are many threads in the Discussion forum...try searching keywords like period, hormones, etc...You'll find you're not alone. NSAIDS like Advil and Motrin help somewhat if your tummy can tolerate them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yup!My period usually starts with a bout of D.I went on the pill to see if it would help my periods be less horrible! Since I was 14 I'd get hot and cold flashes, cramps that would wake me up in the night (did Lamaze breathing to cope with the cramps, since even medication and a hot water bottle didn't help), and my period would be HEAVY for a week or more. Combined with the worsened IBS during my period I just couldn't take it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh My God!!!Does it ever get worse with my period. The first two days are the worst I feel like everything is trying to get out of my body. I have not noticed that the pill has made a bit of difference - except for the not getting pregnant thing!
Wolfpack------------------You can complain that roses have thorns,Or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.

G

·
Irishayes, Hormones have a direct effect on the bowels, so it's no wonder the symptoms get worse when it's that time of the month. I find that progesterone creme helps me a lot. Hang in there.Smurf

G

·
Yes, yes yes! I thought I was just imaging it! I've been telling my Doctor how bad my IBS D is just before my period, but he doesn't seem to take any notice. Nice to know that its not just me! I'm considering going on the pill to help alleviate the problems, and would be interested to know if anyone has had improvement (or not) doing this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on the pill for a few years, and it DID help at the beginning. But after being on it for a while, it stopped helping. My Dr. had given me the pill because he thought it was endometriosis. But I'm trying to figure out just why the symptoms get worse during my period. Is it swelling? Or bleeding into the bowel? Does anyone know for sure? My Dr. still wants to do a laparoscopy to look for endometriosis. I'm just not sure it IS endometriosis, maybe it's just IBS. Anyone else have any information?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Iris,I think the biggest thing is the prostaglandins. They cause the smooth muscle of the uterus to contract, but the prostaglandins don't know the difference between the smooth uterus muscle, and the smooth muscle of the intestine. Sooooo, MUCH spasming! I'm sure endo makes this worse, depending on where the adhesions are.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aha!!! Adhesions! I've had three c-sections, and with my last one, it took them 45 mins to get her out, because they had to dissect my bladder, intestines, etc. away from my uterus because of all the adhesions. Maybe I'm on to something . . .

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to have HORRIBLE periods. Bad D, cold sweats, felt like I would pass out from the pain, lamaze breathing, the pain was excruciating and my periods lasted 14+ days sometimes...heavy the whole time. I was put on the pill which helped my symptoms and length of period immensely...I've been on it for 4 years now still works great....I did figure though, a few months ago that my IBS did get worse when I went on it. But my IBS symptoms are very manageable right not.[This message has been edited by tiggster78 (edited 02-17-2001).]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Me too! I suffer from right side pain w/my ibs and the first three days of my period are awful. Lots of Tylenol & a nice warm heating pad. I also get a pain right above the pubic bone & it gets worse at that time of the month. My gyno thinks the pain is from a muscle. It started hurting about a year ago. Mystery Pain!

G

·
The week before my period is the worst for me. I can't eat anything but rice and banana's and crackers. If I try to eat anything else I am in the bathroom for 2 wholde days.

G

·
My god!! I can't believe it!I just found this site and have been sufferingwith this stupid stuff for severalyears now.Not one doctor can help me.Okay for me I have mostly IBS-C.Seldom do I have IBS-D. But when I doI welcome it because it gets rid of all the yuck in me.As for my periods--forget about it!!I suffer from the worse pain on earth.All the pain, which starts to get worseon day 2 and keeps getting worse until the end, is all above my belly button. And I am sooooooooooo constipated.I am convinced the pain is IBS and not endometriosis.According to my many doctors, they just shrug their shoulders. They say the paindoesn't correspond to endometriosis patterns.Can anyone relate?Can anyone help?Does anyone have IBS-C?Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
76 Posts
pokee, I hope this doesn't sound bad, but do you have male or female doctors? I find female doctors MUCH more sympathetic than male doctors, regarding bad periods.Sorry I have IBS-D not C... are you on the pill at all? It REALLY helps my periods. It doesn't have a big effect either way on my IBS, I still get bad IBS at the start of my period, but my period is much shorter, lighter, and less painful!

G

·
I have the periods from hell because of IBS. I even recently resorted to surgery to remove uterine fibroids, because I thought they may be the problem. I woke up from surgery and IBS was still there. And the doctor's all think it's all in my head. I think that is the most frustrating thing about IBS. If it is in my head, maybe they should try cutting that off next!!

G

·
Pokee You hit the nail right on the head with the belly button thing. I am still laughing as I type. I have just found this web site and if i understand the terminology correctly I have IBS-C as well ( if you mean constipation, and I think you do by the sound of your comments. I am so glad to read that other people share the same symptoms!!!!! I also loved the comment by Integrity. I was diagnosed by a male doctor and received a pamphlet that starts out: " You have IBS now Deal with it". I was pretty down in the dumps until I found this web site. Tell me Ladies HOW DO WE Deal with the Bloating?????!!!!!

G

·
Okay. Wait a minute. Am I the only one whose IBS-D disappears the day before and of the first day of her period? Jeez. I actually look forward to getting my period now because I'll know that I'll have at least two days without IBS-D!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.