Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started taking Metamucil (12 teaspoon) for we think is IBS. The problem is I feel full and uncomfortable after taking it. Could you please tell me if you take it on an empty stomach or with food? Does the full feeling go away after a while. I think it may haelp in the long run but I don't like the full feeling.Thanks

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
TOMary, when you start fiber go slow with the doses at first, half the dose and gradually add more. It may take a while for your body to adjust, it is bulking in the colon so you may feel more full at first, especially because of the nerves in the gut in IBS. Also bacteria feed off the fiber and may produce excess gas as your body adjusts, but it should get better as your body adjusts. For some people they cannot take fiber and some give up to soon, because of the gas and fullness feelings, so it is a matter of trial and error to see if it will help. Also there are different kinds of fiber to try, brands and soluable and insoulable. Make sure also your drinking enough water when taking it.Here is some fiber info for you that I hope helps. http://www.parkviewpub.com/fiber.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eric,Thanks for the reply. I'm off to work now but will read the info you sent. I guess part of my problem is that I'm just plain scared of trying anything since it might make me worse. I guess I'll get over it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts