Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,Can someone tell me:a) What exactly metamucil does?
How it works?c) How long until it works?d) What to expect?Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i'm wondering the same thing too. i'm younger and very "petite" i only way about 95 lbs, what kind of dosage should i be taking?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have taken Metamucil, it's sold over the counter. It is flavored Psillium Husk fiber that you mix with water and drink. My doctor suggested I take it for the "D". He had to do a good "sell" because it is marketed for constipation. He explained to me that the food passes through the intestines and color too rapidly for the body to absorb the fluids, thus resulting in "D". The addition of fiber works this way, the fiber absorbs the fluids and helps create firmer stools. When I started taking the Metamucil I took 3 teaspoons 3 x a day. I saw a huge difference the next morning, but again, everyone is different and the timing to see results may be different. Then I reduced it to 3 teaspoons once a day. I have switched to a different fiber because the Metamucil gave me excessive bloating and gas. The bloating and gas isn't something that everyone would experience, each person is different. With the new fiber, Citrucel, I also take 600 mg Calcium with Vit. D 3 x a day with food, and one tablet of Iron. I am having very good success with this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts