Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know the dose to take and how often. The doc has me eating bran muffins daily (2) and I can't stand to look or smell another one. So I want to try Metamucil since the muffins do help with the urgency and the consistency not the frequency. Thanks, Jo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually people start out with a tablespoon of powder in 8 oz of water a dau and may go up to doing that 3X a day depending on what it takes for their particular body.Metamucile also makes wafers that are fairly tasty and may make a nice change of pace from the bran muffins.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually people start out with a tablespoon of powder in 8 oz of water a dau and may go up to doing that 3X a day depending on what it takes for their particular body.Metamucile also makes wafers that are fairly tasty and may make a nice change of pace from the bran muffins.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
My husband has taken Metamucil forever and does very well on it (he does not have IBS) but when 3 doctors recommended it for my condition - D/C - each time I tried it for several months. It caused gas and discomfort so I use now Citrucel or Fibre Choice with much better results. So it all depends on how your system reacts to it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My husband has taken Metamucil forever and does very well on it (he does not have IBS) but when 3 doctors recommended it for my condition - D/C - each time I tried it for several months. It caused gas and discomfort so I use now Citrucel or Fibre Choice with much better results. So it all depends on how your system reacts to it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use Perdiem in the brown bottle , has no laxative , only fiber and it has really seemed to help me a lot . The urgency has almost disappeared and the stools are more formed. I am D type and Metamucil kept me in a run for the bathroom.I also use enteric coated peppermint as peppermint gives me indigestion and the enteric coated doesn't and it has sure helped with the stomach spasms. This has worked for me , this syndrome is really a trial and error type thing , what works for one might not work for another . Oh yes I do take digestive enzymes and I do have my gall bladder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use Perdiem in the brown bottle , has no laxative , only fiber and it has really seemed to help me a lot . The urgency has almost disappeared and the stools are more formed. I am D type and Metamucil kept me in a run for the bathroom.I also use enteric coated peppermint as peppermint gives me indigestion and the enteric coated doesn't and it has sure helped with the stomach spasms. This has worked for me , this syndrome is really a trial and error type thing , what works for one might not work for another . Oh yes I do take digestive enzymes and I do have my gall bladder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I take the smooth Metamucil 1 Tbsp 2x/day - bottle says 1 tsp 3x/day, so it's about double the dosage, half the water. It's helped me immensely (IBS-D) in that, while I still have bouts of pain and urgency, bms are formed. I feel somewhat more normal anyway, and at least I can leave the house without a huge panic. Of course, I'm still always thinking where I can stop if it hits...I've heard a lot of people do much better with Citrucel, so I'm thinking of trying that when this container is empty. Michelle

·
Registered
32 Posts
I take the smooth Metamucil 1 Tbsp 2x/day - bottle says 1 tsp 3x/day, so it's about double the dosage, half the water. It's helped me immensely (IBS-D) in that, while I still have bouts of pain and urgency, bms are formed. I feel somewhat more normal anyway, and at least I can leave the house without a huge panic. Of course, I'm still always thinking where I can stop if it hits...I've heard a lot of people do much better with Citrucel, so I'm thinking of trying that when this container is empty. Michelle

G

·
I too have heard that Metamucil causes gas, even in those that dont have IBS. So, I am steering clear of it.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !

G

·
I too have heard that Metamucil causes gas, even in those that dont have IBS. So, I am steering clear of it.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In clinical trials if it does cause gas in normal people it is at a level that they don't notice.However it does have the potential to cause gas as it can be fermented. Some people report that even if it caused more gas at the beginning that seems to go away after a couple of weeks.Non-fermentable fibers are available, Methylcellulose (citrucel) and polycarbophil (Fibercon)K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In clinical trials if it does cause gas in normal people it is at a level that they don't notice.However it does have the potential to cause gas as it can be fermented. Some people report that even if it caused more gas at the beginning that seems to go away after a couple of weeks.Non-fermentable fibers are available, Methylcellulose (citrucel) and polycarbophil (Fibercon)K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So with the citrucel or fibercon you don't have to worry about the gas? I better go with one of those if thats the case since I never know if it will be just gas!!! LOL and I've been having lots of problems with that lately. Thanks for all the info. Jo

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So with the citrucel or fibercon you don't have to worry about the gas? I better go with one of those if thats the case since I never know if it will be just gas!!! LOL and I've been having lots of problems with that lately. Thanks for all the info. Jo

G

·
i was taking metamucill 3x a day then i was told to much may actually be bad for people with ibs. so now itake it once in the morning and it's way better. instead of taking metamucill i now take pure psyllium which is fiber becuase metamucill has additives. you can find it at health food stores 1 teaspoon a day in 8 ounces of water should do but make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day 8 glasses.

G

·
i was taking metamucill 3x a day then i was told to much may actually be bad for people with ibs. so now itake it once in the morning and it's way better. instead of taking metamucill i now take pure psyllium which is fiber becuase metamucill has additives. you can find it at health food stores 1 teaspoon a day in 8 ounces of water should do but make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day 8 glasses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been taking bran fiber pills & papaya pills for a week now. I have never felt better! My pain & urgency has decreased dramatically. Still have a little bit of bloating. I was diagnosed last year with IBS/D. Have been searching for something since Lotronex was taken off the market. I think I might be on to something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.