Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it about Metamucil that helps with constipation. It actually doesn't have that much fiber in it. I think I can get more fiber by eating a bowl of cereal. Is there something else that it has in it, or does it help in a different way?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Here is how it helps (taken from: http://www.metamucil.com/healthbenefits/psyllium.html )Psyllium is a bulk-forming fiber. Other fibers that belong to the class of bulk-forming fibers are cellulose, methylcellulose, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, karaya, malt soup extract, polycarbophil, and wheat bran. Bulk-forming fibers are laxatives because of their water-holding properties. They exert their action primarily through mechanical effects by bulking the colonic contents and shortening transit time.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Here is how it helps (taken from: http://www.metamucil.com/healthbenefits/psyllium.html )Psyllium is a bulk-forming fiber. Other fibers that belong to the class of bulk-forming fibers are cellulose, methylcellulose, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, karaya, malt soup extract, polycarbophil, and wheat bran. Bulk-forming fibers are laxatives because of their water-holding properties. They exert their action primarily through mechanical effects by bulking the colonic contents and shortening transit time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Metamucil is made of psyliumPsylium is water soluble and form a gel with water (green salad is more insoluble fiber and hard to digest for IBs people). You can try that with a glass of water, and leave it on the desk.It doesn't participate in the digestion. So it increase the waste volume. It is suppose to regulate BM. In my case it created more waste but the pain was still there....The drawback is that psylium is mixed with sugar in Metamucil (taste better?? psylium doesn't taste anything. You pay then for a stupid sugar ...). Look at the ingredients. Sugar is not good for IBS peoples i think since it promote bacterial fermentation (my point of view..). You can buy psylium in natural store without any additive. The mark is not important, it's what there is inside that is the important things.--- good luck

·
Registered
442 Posts
Metamucil is made of psyliumPsylium is water soluble and form a gel with water (green salad is more insoluble fiber and hard to digest for IBs people). You can try that with a glass of water, and leave it on the desk.It doesn't participate in the digestion. So it increase the waste volume. It is suppose to regulate BM. In my case it created more waste but the pain was still there....The drawback is that psylium is mixed with sugar in Metamucil (taste better?? psylium doesn't taste anything. You pay then for a stupid sugar ...). Look at the ingredients. Sugar is not good for IBS peoples i think since it promote bacterial fermentation (my point of view..). You can buy psylium in natural store without any additive. The mark is not important, it's what there is inside that is the important things.--- good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.