Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am a 37 year old male and think I may have IBS or experience symptoms of IBS. Recently I went back to my bodybuilding training program after a 9 month hiatus of taking time helping with our newborn. When I am training hard, I drink protein supplement drinks 1-3 times a day and am now experiencing more frequent irregular bowel movements than usual. For instance this a.m. I had no less than 4 trips to the bathroom over a 2 hour period. The stools seem to be hard and are irritating my hemorroids. Alternately if I drink a cola or alcohol I may experience a bloating feeling followed by diarrhea. I am thinking perhaps I just need more fiber in my diet as i know i do not eat enough fruit and vegetables. Does a high protein diet require high fiber to balance out the digestive tract? I have taken these same protein supplements for years throughout my twenties with no symptoms, but over the last several years I have been experiencing irregular bowel movements off and on and have identified cola, alcohol and high protein intake as the main triggers. It is not to difficult for me to almost eliminate the colas and alcohol completely but my training requires high protein amounts only achievable through supplementation. Should a fiber supplement be my first step to try to relieve my symptoms? What products are best?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have noticed quite a difference in my bowel movements after I started drinking 1 1/2 Tbsp of psyllium husk powder mixed with juice and water. I take it every morning and I am extremely regular...my husband likes to make fun of me for it.If you decide to try this make sure you have a cup with a lid so that you can shake up the drink and quickly gulp it down since psyllium powder thickens up rapidly.You might want to think about researching the ingredients in your protien drink. Some of that stuff has partially hydrogenated whatever in it which means it was partially digested in pig bile. Gross.Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you have some soluble fiber in your stomach before the protien it could help. You might try using Metamucil or Fibercon capsules right before you eat. This one little thing help me tremendously. I like to stick to protein too. I feel stronger and have more energy, but it is hard to digest. Try a fiber therapy and see if it helps! Fiber wouldn't hurt!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.