Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of research linking magnesium deficiency to IBS? I did a quick search on "magnesium and IBS" on Medline and did turn up a few papers investigating the link, but they were from the 1970s and few abstracts were available. There was one abstract which did report lower magnesium content in the feces of IBS sufferers.There is a school of thought which is arguing that the US RDA for magnesium is way too low, and that magnesium deficiency may contribute to a host of ailments, including hypertension, migraine, and gut ailments, including Crohn's. Because magnesium deficiency affects the neurological system, it makes sense to me as a lay person that IBS might be another ailment it can cause. But I have not found anything which comes out says so.------------------Bernie

G

·
Bernie,Interesting that you should bring it up. I just received something in the mail that basically said almost every ailment shows up with a magnesium deficiency. I don't know if there is a link to IBS, however, my daughter now takes 1000 mg. a day and it helps her constipation (of course she's on a diet that controls her IBS also). I do know according to paperwork I got from a source connected to a hospital does show a magnesium deficiency in people with FM, most of those people also have IBS. I agree with you, we do need to be taking more magnesium, it is responsible for around 343 functions in your body so that in itself should tell you something.Casey

G

·
Bernie,Interesting that you should bring it up. I just received something in the mail that basically said almost every ailment shows up with a magnesium deficiency. I don't know if there is a link to IBS, however, my daughter now takes 1000 mg. a day and it helps her constipation (of course she's on a diet that controls her IBS also). I do know according to paperwork I got from a source connected to a hospital does show a magnesium deficiency in people with FM, most of those people also have IBS. I agree with you, we do need to be taking more magnesium, it is responsible for around 343 functions in your body so that in itself should tell you something.Casey

G

·
Bernie,Sorry, FM is Fibromyalgia. Most of those people have IBS or some other digestive problem, gas, bloating etc. that's why it's talked about a lot on this BB.Casey

G

·
Bernie,Sorry, FM is Fibromyalgia. Most of those people have IBS or some other digestive problem, gas, bloating etc. that's why it's talked about a lot on this BB.Casey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.