Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2nd migraine of my life last night and it was awful. The pain began in the early afternoon and gradually progressed until I was unable to move at 9pm. Then the nauseau was just awful. If I moved my head the slightest, I was sure to vomit. Then to make matters worse, my IBS is back in full swing and I had an attack during the migraine. I quickly took 2 imodiums and the cramping and loose stool left, but then the dry heaves started. This lasted until 1am where the migraine was to the point I could sleep. Now today, I still had a dull ache in my head, but my digestive system is a mess. I hurt so bad from heaving and everything I try to eat ( very bland diet) is giving me gas pains. I am only eating broth, jello and chamomille/peppermint tea so why am I having gas? I really hope this will all end as I truly felt I was dying last night.Ann

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ann, I feel for you. Especially having to get up when you were unable to move your head. I have never actually had the dry heaves. But I have had them from me bum though which is really nasty. because along with the dry bum heaves comes the nausea and the feeling of throwing up. I hope by now you are feeling much better.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ann--I get migraines occasionally too, so I know what you're going through. See a doctor about it so you can try to find a medicine that treats all the migraine symptoms rather than just the pain. I switched to Imitrex but haven't had to use it yet, so I don't know how it will work. A friend of mine says it works on the pain, dizziness, and nausea.Also make sure to take something as soon as you feel the migraine coming on. It took a while for me to recognize the initial symptoms. Not everyone has the same thing, but I start to see spots in front of my eyes, kind of like when you look at bright lights and then look away. If I can take some medicine right then, it is more effective than if I wait for the blind spots, dizziness, nausea, and pain to come on.If you get a migraine on the road or somewhere where you don't have access to migraine medication, Excedrin is better than nothing. I have also taken Motrin or Tylenol in a pinch and washed them down with lots of caffeine. It helps for the migraine, but may not be good for the IBS. It's a matter of priorities. I'd rather have intestinal cramps than the sensation of someone stabbing me in the eye with an icepick for several hours.Debbie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everyone! I am also a victim of both IBS and migraines. I started suffering from migraines around 1994 or 1995, and they get worse when I get my period. My doctor prescribed Midrin, and it REALLY helps, but it makes me really drowsy. But I'd rather sleep then suffer from a migraine! However, over the years, I have begun to notice the signs (I get really nausious), and I take 2-4 ibuprofen when I feel it coming on, and usually the ibuprofen is enough to make it go away. If that doesn't work, then I switch to the Midrin. I just had a migraine about 2 weeks ago, and my IBS was in full swing when it happened. Seems like there is a connection.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey, I like the icons! It lets us know if we have a question, an idea, .... neat!Anyway, I have been a migraine sufferer for over 20 years. I get one like you described about once a month.I use the Imitrex, and it is the first medication in my life that stops a migraine. It comes in 25 mg and 50 mg doses. You can take one pill at the onset of the migraine, and two hours later, if you still have a headache, you can take the second one.I take the 50 mg pills, and usually have to take the second one. Please ask you doctor for this, it really helps! It is not a narcotic, and if your headache isn't a migraine, it won't help it....Imitrex (sumatriptan) is a vaso-constrictor specific to the carotid arteriol circulation in the head. Migraines are thought to be (they don't really know) caused by the dilatation of cranial blood vessels. The fact that Imitrex works may mean they are on to something....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I too get migraines as well as my IBS. I dread them because I get such unpleasant visual disturbances. Sometimes I get the killer headaches too, but not as often. I wish there was some medication that could stop the visual auras!Hope you feel better soon - all the best,Ama

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had migraines since age 16. It's a family curse. And usually comes with my monthly visitor. Imitrex, I tried but lowered my blood pressure so much my arms & legs fells asleep & I almost passed out. Same with Zomig but Zomig helps with nausea better than Imitrex. I usually take Darvocet N100 plus a benadryl children's chewable. The benadryl helps nausea by shutting down the brain center that controls nausea. The Darvocet helps diminish the pain but doesn't get rid of it for me. Wish I could tolerate the migraine meds. And sometimes I do get IBS with a migraine too. Then I'm usually really sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.