Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike,I have noticed your name and I am wondering about it.What is it about Lomotil?I have been given a prescription for it, but my instincts tell me to avoid taking it, if possible.I have read up a bit on it, and I am not sure that I want to try this drug.I am trying Heather's diet for now, and it has had some remarkable results for me. I have IBS D with GERD, and a sensitivity to MSG.But as for the Lomotil:It was the same type of reluctance that prevented me from putting my son on Ritalin for ADD, years ago.I just didn't feel there was enough research done about the effects of an amphetamine-like substance on a child's mind.In that case, my suspicions were somewhat confirmed in time, as more evidence came out about Ritalin.So what can you tell me about Lomotil?Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
LexiI think that is all he ever took before he found help for his IBS...I have tried that pill before for D and it made me feel sick...but it works for alot of people...It might just be his way of saying NO MORE LOMITIL I'm better

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
I believe it is that he no longer needs to take Lomotil, rather than telling people that it is bad to take it.If I have his story correct he had very severe IBS-D and either LEAP or one of the things that it evolved out of helped him find a diet that controls the D so he doesn't need to take Lomotil anymore.K.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lexi, I am kind of surprised that you have never been given Lomotil. It amounts to like a super Immodium, much stronger abd a vert tiny little pill. I am in a not too bad phase right now and so I only take it when I am really bad. One good thing about it is if you have health insurance you can purchase it alot cheaper than OTC anti-D meds when you get the generic, which nas been my experiece. Draw back, it gives me cotton-mouth sometimes and does dry up your sinuses and throat too. Hope that helps.MJ

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote: It amounts to like a super Immodium, much stronger
You have it reversed. Imodium is like super Lomotil, much stronger.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who replied.I now have some idea of what Lomotil is about.Originally, my doctor prescribed something else for me, I can't remember what it was called, but it made my hair start to fall out and it made me break out in hives. It also didn't even help the chronic diarrhea much. After 2 weeks, I stopped taking it, and when I descibed my side effects the druggist looked it up and told me it was a known side effect of the drug.It was after that experience that my doctor prescribed the Lomotil, but I have been afraid to take it. Now, I am more willing to consider it, should I need it.I have been trying Heather's diet and so far, the results have been remarkable.After 10 years of IBS symptoms, the last 2 of which have been severe, I have been free of diarrhea and the other symptoms!In fact, I am now slightly constipated which hasn't happened in 10 years. I can adjust the diet by adding in more insoluble fibre, and I will start taking the Metamucil that Heather advises for a regulator for all IBS sufferes, IBS D and IBS C.It is good to know that I can resort to the Lomotil if the diarrhea gets back to the way it was before.I am IBS D with GERD (and MSG sensitivity).Thanks again to all who replied.Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.