Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the diagnosis of IBS and reading these posts brought back memories of childhood. I was raised on junk food by adults who were not very aware of me, as far as I can remember the only fiber containing foods I had were bananas, (which gave me heartburn) and peaches in summer. Back then I had almost continuous indigestion, cramps, and constipation. I thought this was normal. Since my whole family didn't get enough fiber, it wasn't considered unusual to spend 2 hours in the bathroom. As an adult I read nutrition articles about the benefits of veggies and high fiber foods and modified my diet, and then my symptoms began to come and go instead of being continuous. For about 15 years I haven't been constipated more than twice a year, with diahrrea the same, but I still have always had pains and indigestion. Apparently this getting better as an adult is unusual as far as known, but I wonder if being raised on a low-fiber diet causes IBS. Is anyone doing research? A person who is raised on low fiber diet and doesn't modify their diet as an adult will never know any different, will they? Until they develop diverticulitis.From what I've seen traveling it looks like the midwest except for very large cities still eats a low-fiber diet, there are probably thousands of people with undiagnosed IBS.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I think perhaps people that don't get enough fiber as you mentioned, probably have constipation and its associated horrible symptoms/problems, rather than IBS. But of course, there are many who have developed IBS. Just a thought.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts