Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is. Got terribly ill 5 years ago with pain and constant D. A horrible life ensued. All the tests: Blood. Stool. Upper GI. Colonoscopy. Urine. Cat scan. More blood. All negative. I even swallowed the camera pill. Nothing. I took the 2 hour funcional liver test for Habba syndrome. Normal. I tried antispasmotics, probiotics, anti-depressants, dietary changes, birth control pill, yoga, praying. Nothing. My days consisted of a religious regimen of pill taking, not eating and praying that I could work and not have much trouble. Home was my safety zone. I always felt gurgles, pain, pokes, and movement in my guts. I constantly felt like I was going to have D. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time on the toilet. This is not a good way to live. My new doctor put me on Colestipol, a cholesterol drug. I took it because my other oprion was Lotronex, and that was my last drug to try. Cholesterol drugs work on Habba syndrome patients by binding to the bile acids in their intestines. I knew I didn't have Habba, but I said what the hell. Within hours of taking Colestipol I knew something was different. My guts were completely calm. No pokes, no gurgles, no pain. I waited, as we IBSers have learned not to get too happy. The next day was the same. 7 weeks later I have the calmest guts and have no D at all. It doesnt even feel like I have to go. My life has opened up incredibly and I am hoping will stay that way forever. I have no named disease. And I don't care. My guts hurt to have a normal bowel movement,(I am not constipated) but I don't care about that either.This drug is not a statin. The side effects are constipation and lower cholesterol. Try it. What the hell. It may be your sudden release from a life sentence. Good luck. Freedom feels SPECTACULAR !!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Glad you feel so much better! Yes many have found that bile binders like Questran, Cloestid, Colestipol etc have helped many IBS D'ers.Thanks for letting us know how much you have been helped and wish you all the best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been taking Colestid for many years. It has given me my life back. I am now able to go to meetings, classes, out with friends with confidence. I still get D once in a great while, but it is nothing like what it was before Colestid. I would say I am 85% better. No more imodium. I have a great doctor who doesn't mind prescribing something to me "off label" (a cholesterol medicine even though I don't have high cholesterol). Colestid is a large pill, but I don't care. I swallow it with lots of water. I will never give it up.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Cholestyramine/questran was no good for me either but good luck to you with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.