Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby has been struggling with constipation, so my pediatrician sent me to a Gastroenterologist, who said I could give him a baby suppository 3 days in a row ONLY, but then she wanted to prescribe MiraLax for him! I was shocked! The suppositories have relieved the problem for now, and I will NOT, needless to say, be giving him the MiraLax! Would like to hear comments from anyone who has any thoughts about this.....I feel that MD's are totally on a different planet from me in their readiness to prescribe medication without trying other means first....I would like to know if anyone here has ever given Miralax to a baby.....?Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is an osmotic laxative and all it would do is pull water into the stool so it might be a reasonable thing to do with minimal amounts of problems.You could try the same sort of thing by feeding prune juice. The sorbitol in it (another osmotic laxative) will have the same effect, but may cause gas which the miralax would not.Has the baby been checked for any reasons for having constipation? or is it not bad enough to warrent testing?K.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I was a toddler (that's as far back as I remember) with constipation I drank prune juice, that's a pretty good suggestion. I would definitely recommend trying that before getting a prescription for anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baby has not been checked, and drs won't even explore diet w/ me...any further than to suggest juices and fruits & veggies...but the act like they don't have the time of day to sit down & really examine his diet with me....argh!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I mean is, if they would sit down with me longer, maybe they might think to question me as to HOW MUCH prune juice I have been giving him, and suggest more.....I just now realized that I am not trying ENOUGH prune juice....We've been putting about 1 oz in each 9 oz bottle of formula.....Reading your posts above, made me realize that I need to try much more than that...so I just went and put 4 oz of prune juice in with 6 oz of formula (baby won't take straight prune juice)....he is sitting here beside me now drinking away...maybe this is going to be the thing!other than that, I have given him suppositories on occasion, and they really help...but doctors say to only give those for 2 or 3 days and no more.....Why would a suppository be more harmful than a laxative that is taken orally? the oral laxative affects a person's whole system, and hyperosmotic laxatives like miralax can cause electrolyte imbalance and dehydration...whereas the suppository only works on the target site and gives immediate relief!MD is saying baby could be on miralax for 6 months....I don't like the idea of that!I need to get more fluids and more fruits and veggies in him, is the bottom line....we are working on that....but it is slow going, as he isn't fully adjusted to solids and is still drinking bottles for his main nutrition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.