Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first appointment with a gastroenterologist today and he prescribed Miralax, taken twice a day for 3 days and then adjusted as needed, on top of Zelnorm. I've been taking Zelnorm for awhile but it only helps the first day then does nothing. He also did some blood work to check my thyroid. It was basically a first step consultation and I'm supposed to go back in 1 month so the doctor can evaluate my condition.Just curious, has anyone taken Miralax and what is your experience with it? Anything I should know before I start in the morning?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Miralax has been a miracle for me. I now take 34 grams daily and it works beautifully. I sometimes have to go as high as 68 grams and add Milk of Magnesia. Miralax is tasteless, textureless and odorless. I mix it in gatorade. It would be great if you could stay close to home your 1st day just to gauge how it will affect you. It doesn't affect me dramatically, just makes me feel normal. Best of luck to you!Julie

·
Registered
150 Posts
my doctor won't prescribe miralax for me because he says that is the 'big guns' and should be saved for clearing someone out in an emergency. I REALLY need SOMETHING that will help me go every day so I don't get this horrible cramping. Is miralax OK on a daily basis? He wouldn't even let me take in on a trip and I was miserable the whole time. I don't think he understands how horrible this is and he is a GI doc!! nogo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Miralax is the same compound that is used for colonoscopy preps but it is dosed for daily use. I don't know what your doctor is thinking.Everything I've seen for Miralax indicates it can be used safely daily.
There is lactulose and maybe some other prescription osmotic laxatives, maybe he'd go for those, but I'd be tempted to find another doctor or see if your General doctor will prescribe it even if the GI doctor won't.Magnesium oxide supplements and milk of magnesia is the same basic mechanism and available over the counter.K.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hmmm. I am going back to see him next week so I'll ask again. I really don't think he understands the misery of constipation. My GP was the one who prescribed miralax daily and the GI doc nearly flipped. What the heck?! Thanks for the info. If he doesn't let me take that, I think I will switch docs. nogo

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to use Miralax and now I use Glycolax.I have found that neither of them are really that strong, or at least when I just take them by themselves, I am still constipated.I used Miralax for about 4-5 months. I took it once in the morning and once at night, I never really noticed a difference so I stopped taking it.

G

·
I've been taking Miralax for a few years now and it's been working great for me. If it wasn't for the Miralax, just don't know what I would have done! I get so constipated...have fallen off the toilet seat, passed out, etc.Now, the only problem I have is to remember to take it BEFORE I really need it. My GI also put me on Zelnorm a few weeks ago...and that seems to be helping, too. He told me I could take the Miralax as well...but only did that the first week...before the Zelnorm started working.Hopefully, this will be the 'magic cure' for me as far as constipation goes. It seems to be working well...just hope my system does not get "used" to it...and I have problems once again with constipation.Hope this helps!NatzoSwift

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.