Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just need to vent and wondering if anyone else is going through this. I’ve been “managing” IBS for decades, in addition to Crohn’s (in remission), hiatal hernia, umbilical hernia, and GERD. for the past 2 weeks, I’ve been miserable suffering with extreme bloating, pain on right and left side and belly area, and unable to pass gas. Funny thing is over the past few months I’ve had a physical, colonoscopy, endoscopy, MRI, and ultrasound all to mostly unremarkable results. When I reached out to my gastro doc, he mentioned the only thing he found in the MRI was a “slightly narrowed intestinal area”, and suggested getting another procedure similar to colonoscopy that involves a balloon. Ugh. It’s exhausting constantly seeing doctors and procedures, only to keep suffering, especially during this never ending pandemic and the stress that brings. I exercise daily, and beginning to wonder if doing daily core work is making matters worse. Any sage words of advice, or anyone else having similar experiences? Thanks!

chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Just need to vent and wondering if anyone else is going through this. I’ve been “managing” IBS for decades, in addition to Crohn’s (in remission), hiatal hernia, umbilical hernia, and GERD. for the past 2 weeks, I’ve been miserable suffering with extreme bloating, pain on right and left side and belly area, and unable to pass gas. Funny thing is over the past few months I’ve had a physical, colonoscopy, endoscopy, MRI, and ultrasound all to mostly unremarkable results. When I reached out to my gastro doc, he mentioned the only thing he found in the MRI was a “slightly narrowed intestinal area”, and suggested getting another procedure similar to colonoscopy that involves a balloon. Ugh. It’s exhausting constantly seeing doctors and procedures, only to keep suffering, especially during this never ending pandemic and the stress that brings. I exercise daily, and beginning to wonder if doing daily core work is making matters worse. Any sage words of advice, or anyone else having similar experiences? Thanks!

chris
You certainly have had your share of suffering with IBS. I see your post was from 2021, with no responses until about a week ago. I, too, would ask if you've been able to figure anything out this past year.

I only started having symptoms in April of this year, so am still finding my way. As my symptoms are unpleasant but not yet severe, my doctor is letting me experiment with alternative methods for a few months (unless, of course, they suddenly worsen). I'm having acupuncture once a week, practicing acupressure myself throughout the week, taking various Chinese herbal blends, and practicing deep breathing and meditation to (try to) keep myself calm. Progress is slow, sometimes not recognizable at all; I'm trying to stay calm so as not to give up too soon.

One thing that you might find helpful is Abdominal Massage. It's used in both Chinese and Ayurvedic traditions. You massage your abdomen clockwise, starting at the bottom of the ascending colon, across the transverse colon, and then down the descending colon (in other words, the route taken by fecal material as it moves through the large intestine). There are lots of videos showing various forms of Abdominal Massage, but the one I would recommend is at the Healthline site (search <Healthline abdominal massage>). It corresponds to the method I've seen in my Chinese and Indian health books. Other videos show some yoga abdominal massage techniques. Some I just didn't like, some I doubted would work, and some were too aggressive for my preferences. I follow the advice of Dr. Anil Minocha, a gastroenterologist at the Univ. of Mississippi Medical Center, in his book "Natural Stomach Care" (a blend of Eastern and Western healing therapies), who says to do this for 5-10 minutes. I do it every day both to relieve intestinal gas and to stimulate peristalsis (which eases constipation).

Minocha also discusses acupressure. Here's the one he says is "the most effective acupressure location for healing stomach problems of any kind":

Using your thumb: "Press the point one and a half inches directly below the navel. Apply pressure for 30 seconds; stop, then press for another 30 seconds."

Hope these help. Let us know how you're feeling these days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts