Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been miserable, my D has abandoned me and left me C for months now. I've pretty much managed to get by without having to take anything until the other day. My mom told me to take something the only thing I found was stool softner Dolcolax(sp?). That did nothing. When I told her what I took she said that wasn't good enough and bought me Dolcolax laxitive. I went mostly liquid, still feel like I have to go, and I was so sore to sit. Finally, today after months of on off bleeding I went to the GI, I haven't had to see him since 2000 mainly because he says only I can solved these problems, and eat differently. He doesn't deny that at I have IBD but he said it's between me and my body and the two of us need to work things out. He wasn't concerened one bit about the bleeding told me right away what I have. Then stuck some scope up me which took 1 min tops, I have a fissure
he then proceded to tell me it's like it split lip, and that they are painful but nothing to worry about. I'm also backed up so he told me take some Milk of Magnesia. I'd like to know what he's talking about....I saw so many webpages where the people say they had sugery.He told me use Lanacain on a Q-tip no Prep H. Anyone think my doc is nuts or have you heard of this? Any fissure from you guys? I'm sitting on one of those blow up donuts, took a hot bath in Epsom Salts, and I'm waiting for the M.O.M to kick in, my diet doc suggested some mineral oil to lube things up I took one spoon of that too, nothing is working so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
fissures are from the devil I am pretty certain
I am dealing with one as we speak and it has been around for quite some time unfortunately. In order to heal these little buggers you have to keep your bm's VERY soft....no constipation what so ever. I have to take a small dose of M of M every night, drink lots of water and make sure I eat as much insoluable fiber as I can safely handle. It is slowly slowly healing and there are days (like today) when I have a hard BM and it sets me back a bit in my recovery. Be patient and kep em' soft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, I know this post is old but just a question to those of you dealing with fissures....did you experience back pain? I've been having some aches (almost like perioud cramps) after every BM. What's weird is when I awake in the morning from sleeping the pain is gone. Do you think it is strain-related?Thanks for the tip on keeping the BM's soft, SisterMoon....do you just use a laxative for this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stool softeners(one after breakfast and one after supper) are what I use. Not the kind with stimulant laxative in but the ones with only ducosate sodium. They are readily avaiable OTC. Water-drinking is ultra-important.I'd stick with the soluable fiber until some healing takes place. Have you read, "Listen to your Gut" by Jini Patel? It might help. IBS is misery enough without any added problems like fissures. I hope you see improvement soon. If not, please do not hesitate to get back to MD and ask for RX like Miralax which is an osmotic that increases water in stool so it will be softer and pass more easily. If you want more info on Miralax, do a Search here. Lots of IBS folks have used it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Millard,It's funny how you wrote in on the exact day that my fissure decided to re-tear. I am in misery over this. I have IBS-A so I alternate between diarrhea nad constipation. I am mostly constipated and can only "go" if I take Milk of Magnesia. Unfortunately, it does not always work well and I have a hard stool, or it works too well and I have the big D for a couple of days. Truthfully, I am still trying to figure out how to heal this little devil and move on with "just" my IBS to deal with.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I suffered from the nastiest fissure about 2 years ago. I couldn't sit (difficult, when my job involves sitting on my arse all day), going to the loo was agony and invoved lots of bleeding - even when it was D. It was a nightmare. Anyway, off I went to see a consultant who had a look-see and said I had a fissure and prescribed the following:100g Glycerl Trin Paste 0.2%. Now this is apparantly the same stuff but in paste form, that they give people who angina and they have to spray NG spray under their tongues to stop the pain. This paste - you use a minute amount on the tip of your nail and just kind of stick it on the outside as near to the split as you can get and then squeeze your bum to suck it in and after a week - NO MORE PAIN AND A HEALED FISSURE. Absolute dynamite stuff, but you have to be really careful with the amount - only the tiniest bit is to be used as the consultant said it can give you dire headaches it you overdo it.Adk your doctor about it.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.