Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I I have been taking Bentyl 10 mg 2 or 3 times a day and Lomotil 2 or 3 x a day with pretty good success. All of a sudden, this combo doesn't seem to work at all, even if I "up" the dose.Strangely, this morning I had one of the nicest bm's I've had in months, but about an hour later I started with extremely acidic "D" and still feel rotten.Does it sound like I have gone down another level on this horrible IBS?Thanx for sharing--I have appreciated all you help this last year.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Charbeaner I found a long time ago that meds did not ever really do much for me and the IBS can wax and wane. I also found that sometimes, instead of upping the doses, I would ease up on taking things and see what happened. It seemed as though my IBS would get use to drugs.Do you do any relaxation techniques for your IBS, they can help more then any meds or otcs, even if the IBS is not stress/anxiety related.Some work better as an antispasmatic then the antispasmatics, like bentyl. They can also slow the gut transit time down and relax your digestive system.Sorry to hear your having a flare up.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Charbeaner I found a long time ago that meds did not ever really do much for me and the IBS can wax and wane. I also found that sometimes, instead of upping the doses, I would ease up on taking things and see what happened. It seemed as though my IBS would get use to drugs.Do you do any relaxation techniques for your IBS, they can help more then any meds or otcs, even if the IBS is not stress/anxiety related.Some work better as an antispasmatic then the antispasmatics, like bentyl. They can also slow the gut transit time down and relax your digestive system.Sorry to hear your having a flare up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Eric and thanx for answering. My "D" is chronic and without the meds I couldn't leave the bathroom. The meds made life bearable and with them I could control things, even tho I never really feel good. Now, the meds don't work at all for whatever reason. I could triple them and they wouldn't work.I do own Mike's Tapes, but only listened once. I guess I felt I would never faithfully do the 100 or so days. Maybe I can give them another try. If you miss a day do you have to start over?I just can't believe how bad this IBS has gotten. Meds usually worked to keep it under control, but not now. Hope you are right and it will get better again.Thanx again for answering me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Eric and thanx for answering. My "D" is chronic and without the meds I couldn't leave the bathroom. The meds made life bearable and with them I could control things, even tho I never really feel good. Now, the meds don't work at all for whatever reason. I could triple them and they wouldn't work.I do own Mike's Tapes, but only listened once. I guess I felt I would never faithfully do the 100 or so days. Maybe I can give them another try. If you miss a day do you have to start over?I just can't believe how bad this IBS has gotten. Meds usually worked to keep it under control, but not now. Hope you are right and it will get better again.Thanx again for answering me.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The acidicness of the diarrhea MIGHT indicate a bile issue.Some people seem to make more bile than they can recycle. This is really common if you have had your gall bladder removed, but seems that it effects some IBSers as well even with a gall bladder that is just fine.It might be worth looking into a couple of things if you have not.1) Try taking 300-600 mgs Calcium Carbonate with meals.2) Talk to the doctor about Questran. It is a bile binding agent used for choleterol reduction. It is routinely constipating for normal people, but often that side effects makes people with diarrhea normal.And just the standard reminder. If what normally works stops working for a significant amount of time, or you get new symptoms...it is time to check back in with the doctor. Having IBS doesn't mean that nothing else can go wrong
K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The acidicness of the diarrhea MIGHT indicate a bile issue.Some people seem to make more bile than they can recycle. This is really common if you have had your gall bladder removed, but seems that it effects some IBSers as well even with a gall bladder that is just fine.It might be worth looking into a couple of things if you have not.1) Try taking 300-600 mgs Calcium Carbonate with meals.2) Talk to the doctor about Questran. It is a bile binding agent used for choleterol reduction. It is routinely constipating for normal people, but often that side effects makes people with diarrhea normal.And just the standard reminder. If what normally works stops working for a significant amount of time, or you get new symptoms...it is time to check back in with the doctor. Having IBS doesn't mean that nothing else can go wrong
K.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I agree with kmottus on this and it would be worth asking him about questran.Sorry to hear you have not followed through with the HT, I highly recommend trying it again.If you miss a day or two, you just start back up where you left off, if its longer, say weeks then you would have to start again.There is a very big chance they will help you if you follow through to the end of the program, using the schedule. Its also way better then living with the IBS symptoms for life and most people can reduce the meds or discontinue them if the HT helps. You can still take meds while doing the program, just put them on when you go to sleep. Its not even something you have to work hard at, all you do is listen.Do you get pain?Also were you eating anything majorly acidic?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I agree with kmottus on this and it would be worth asking him about questran.Sorry to hear you have not followed through with the HT, I highly recommend trying it again.If you miss a day or two, you just start back up where you left off, if its longer, say weeks then you would have to start again.There is a very big chance they will help you if you follow through to the end of the program, using the schedule. Its also way better then living with the IBS symptoms for life and most people can reduce the meds or discontinue them if the HT helps. You can still take meds while doing the program, just put them on when you go to sleep. Its not even something you have to work hard at, all you do is listen.Do you get pain?Also were you eating anything majorly acidic?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Just fyi Charbeaner and I had the problem of no drugs being really effective ever, especially on global symptoms."What can be done to improve Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?By Olafur S. Palsson, Psy.D.Last updated: August 2002Traditionally, physicians have had a great deal of difficulty coming up with adequate medical treatments for IBS. Medications used to treat the disorder have generally been aimed at treating single symptoms (such as pain or diarrhea) of this complex syndrome, and have often proven limited in effectiveness even on those symptoms. Among medications with most consistent effectiveness on IBS symptoms (Camilleri, 1999) are Loperamide and antidepressants (the latter help not only symptoms of depression in depressed IBS patients, but also improve pain and diarrhea in some individuals). Overall, the response of the syndrome to medication interventions has been inconsistent and disappointing, leaving a substantial proportion of patients with little or no lasting relief. Dr. Grant Thompson, one of the world's authorities on IBS, concluded in his review of pharmacologic management of IBS: �The sheer number and variety of drugs sold �for IBS treatment are testimony to their collective uselessness" (Thompson, 1994). This pessimistic picture might finally be changing to some degree as new classes of medications have emerged that seem to be able to address this disorder. The first among the drugs, Lotronex, was introduced with much fanfare in the Fall of 1999, but was was pulled voluntarily off the market less than a year later by Glaxo-Wellcome, due to concerns about several deaths which may have been attributable to the effects of this medication (see link to CNN story below). Many regretted the loss of this first medication specifically designed for IBS treatment. In a remarkable and unusual reversal (see link below), Lotronex has now been reapproved for use by the FDA, and reintroduced on the market with extra precautions to address the risks previously identified.The next medication to arrive on the market for IBS is Tegaserod, produced by Novartis, which has just been released in the U.S. This medication is marketed under the name Zelnorm,and is specifically intended to relieve constipation-type IBS problems. Zelnorm has been demonstrated to have effectiveness above placebo in tests (see link to story below). It will also be prescribed only for women. The availability of Lotronex and Zelnorm heralds a whole new era in IBS treatment: For the first time ever, IBS-specific medications are available to physicians. However, although promising, these drugs are likely to prove to be far from being the final answer in IBS treatment. Both are only effective in women, have relatively small impact on symptoms in many patients, and only about half of patients respond in a beneficial way to these treatments.Apart from medications, common methods used to attempt to control IBS include changes in diet, various alternative medicine methods, and psychological approaches. The most common symptom-inducing foods for IBS patients are spicy foods and food with high fat content. Often patients can get at least temporary relief by reducing the amount of such foods in their diet. However, such adjustments in diet rarely lead to lasting improvement in the condition. Increasing fiber in the diet, with fiber supplements of at least 12 g per day (Camilleri, 1999) helps many patients with constipation- predominent IBS. Many IBS sufferers who have not had good luck with regular medical management of their symptoms try various home remedies and alternative medicine medicine regimens. Unfortunately, they often fall prey to unwarranted claims for symptom relief from anything from herbal and homeopathic medications to colon cleansing, spending a great deal of money and may possibly suffer harm from the effects of such therapies. Among alternatives to medication, only psychological treatments and peppermint oil have the research base to back up their use in IBS.Among psychological treatments tested for the disorder, hypnosis treatment has shown the highest success rate in replicated studies, with studies commonly showing an astounding 80-95% of patients improving and improvement lasting for at least a couple of years. The other effective psychological treatment for IBS is cognitive therapy. Brief psychodynamic psychotherapy has also shown some success, but less research has been done on that form of IBS treatment to date than on hypnosis." http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBStreatments.html

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Just fyi Charbeaner and I had the problem of no drugs being really effective ever, especially on global symptoms."What can be done to improve Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?By Olafur S. Palsson, Psy.D.Last updated: August 2002Traditionally, physicians have had a great deal of difficulty coming up with adequate medical treatments for IBS. Medications used to treat the disorder have generally been aimed at treating single symptoms (such as pain or diarrhea) of this complex syndrome, and have often proven limited in effectiveness even on those symptoms. Among medications with most consistent effectiveness on IBS symptoms (Camilleri, 1999) are Loperamide and antidepressants (the latter help not only symptoms of depression in depressed IBS patients, but also improve pain and diarrhea in some individuals). Overall, the response of the syndrome to medication interventions has been inconsistent and disappointing, leaving a substantial proportion of patients with little or no lasting relief. Dr. Grant Thompson, one of the world's authorities on IBS, concluded in his review of pharmacologic management of IBS: �The sheer number and variety of drugs sold �for IBS treatment are testimony to their collective uselessness" (Thompson, 1994). This pessimistic picture might finally be changing to some degree as new classes of medications have emerged that seem to be able to address this disorder. The first among the drugs, Lotronex, was introduced with much fanfare in the Fall of 1999, but was was pulled voluntarily off the market less than a year later by Glaxo-Wellcome, due to concerns about several deaths which may have been attributable to the effects of this medication (see link to CNN story below). Many regretted the loss of this first medication specifically designed for IBS treatment. In a remarkable and unusual reversal (see link below), Lotronex has now been reapproved for use by the FDA, and reintroduced on the market with extra precautions to address the risks previously identified.The next medication to arrive on the market for IBS is Tegaserod, produced by Novartis, which has just been released in the U.S. This medication is marketed under the name Zelnorm,and is specifically intended to relieve constipation-type IBS problems. Zelnorm has been demonstrated to have effectiveness above placebo in tests (see link to story below). It will also be prescribed only for women. The availability of Lotronex and Zelnorm heralds a whole new era in IBS treatment: For the first time ever, IBS-specific medications are available to physicians. However, although promising, these drugs are likely to prove to be far from being the final answer in IBS treatment. Both are only effective in women, have relatively small impact on symptoms in many patients, and only about half of patients respond in a beneficial way to these treatments.Apart from medications, common methods used to attempt to control IBS include changes in diet, various alternative medicine methods, and psychological approaches. The most common symptom-inducing foods for IBS patients are spicy foods and food with high fat content. Often patients can get at least temporary relief by reducing the amount of such foods in their diet. However, such adjustments in diet rarely lead to lasting improvement in the condition. Increasing fiber in the diet, with fiber supplements of at least 12 g per day (Camilleri, 1999) helps many patients with constipation- predominent IBS. Many IBS sufferers who have not had good luck with regular medical management of their symptoms try various home remedies and alternative medicine medicine regimens. Unfortunately, they often fall prey to unwarranted claims for symptom relief from anything from herbal and homeopathic medications to colon cleansing, spending a great deal of money and may possibly suffer harm from the effects of such therapies. Among alternatives to medication, only psychological treatments and peppermint oil have the research base to back up their use in IBS.Among psychological treatments tested for the disorder, hypnosis treatment has shown the highest success rate in replicated studies, with studies commonly showing an astounding 80-95% of patients improving and improvement lasting for at least a couple of years. The other effective psychological treatment for IBS is cognitive therapy. Brief psychodynamic psychotherapy has also shown some success, but less research has been done on that form of IBS treatment to date than on hypnosis." http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBStreatments.html

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi and and thank you so much for all your help. I do have some Questran at home and will try it again. This morning I did my usual routine of taking a Bentyl 10mg and a Lomotil. I got to work and from an event here we had some leftover egg cassarole and muffins. I had a small amount of each and within 15 minutes I was in the bathroom having a total "blowout". I was lucky the bathroom was so close. With the meds, I have not had this type of thing happen in a very long time.I do have a question, tho. I have been home from Puerto Vallerta for a week. While I was there needless to say I was very careful and had absolutely no problems. I did increase the meds a bit just for insurance. I took all precautions. After I was home, all this started a couple of days later.I believe I have heard about some new meds coming out for IBS-D. Have any of you heard about them? My gastro doc has offered me Lonatron (I know I spelled that wrong) but I am afraid to take it.As for pain, I usually don't ever have any. While I took the meds (Bentyl and Lomotil) I would have maybe 2 or 3 BM's per day, but no having to rush to the bathroom or be afraid I would have an "accident". I even ate meals on the airplane going to and from Mexico with no problems. I am very acidic right now and interestingly, I am the only cousin left on both sides of my family with a gallbladder, so even tho I have it it may be giving me problems. I will haul out the Questran tonight. I am supposed to have a very nice dinner date tomorrow night (2nd date with a very nice guy) and I am afraid to go. Normally, I would eat very blandly on these dinner dates, but it seems like anything at all is doing me in. All I want now is to take my acidic bum home and go to bed!!Thanx for everything!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi and and thank you so much for all your help. I do have some Questran at home and will try it again. This morning I did my usual routine of taking a Bentyl 10mg and a Lomotil. I got to work and from an event here we had some leftover egg cassarole and muffins. I had a small amount of each and within 15 minutes I was in the bathroom having a total "blowout". I was lucky the bathroom was so close. With the meds, I have not had this type of thing happen in a very long time.I do have a question, tho. I have been home from Puerto Vallerta for a week. While I was there needless to say I was very careful and had absolutely no problems. I did increase the meds a bit just for insurance. I took all precautions. After I was home, all this started a couple of days later.I believe I have heard about some new meds coming out for IBS-D. Have any of you heard about them? My gastro doc has offered me Lonatron (I know I spelled that wrong) but I am afraid to take it.As for pain, I usually don't ever have any. While I took the meds (Bentyl and Lomotil) I would have maybe 2 or 3 BM's per day, but no having to rush to the bathroom or be afraid I would have an "accident". I even ate meals on the airplane going to and from Mexico with no problems. I am very acidic right now and interestingly, I am the only cousin left on both sides of my family with a gallbladder, so even tho I have it it may be giving me problems. I will haul out the Questran tonight. I am supposed to have a very nice dinner date tomorrow night (2nd date with a very nice guy) and I am afraid to go. Normally, I would eat very blandly on these dinner dates, but it seems like anything at all is doing me in. All I want now is to take my acidic bum home and go to bed!!Thanx for everything!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Could you possibly have picked up a bug on vacation? I've been on Lomotil for many years and it's always helped me...knock wood. That being said, I have noticed when I'm on vacation, and things are rather stressful, the pills seem to take longer to work. Recently I went to Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix and knowing I would be facing long lines for the porta potties made my anxiety worse. It usually took me about 2 hours in the morning before my bowels settled down even with taking lomotil. It eventually did work however.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Could you possibly have picked up a bug on vacation? I've been on Lomotil for many years and it's always helped me...knock wood. That being said, I have noticed when I'm on vacation, and things are rather stressful, the pills seem to take longer to work. Recently I went to Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix and knowing I would be facing long lines for the porta potties made my anxiety worse. It usually took me about 2 hours in the morning before my bowels settled down even with taking lomotil. It eventually did work however.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi bushja1 and thanx for responding. Yes, I thought of the fact I might have picked up something on vacation. I am so miserable right now and Lomotil and Bentyl usually worked well for me. Yesterday, I went with a friend to lunch and after lunch we had to meet another friend in a very empty parking lot to transfer her father-in-law to out car to take him to the airport. Well, right in the middle of nowhere, I came the closest to having a blowout I ever had. I was never to scared about that before. I had taken my meds in the a.m., but again they didn't work. I quickly reached in my purse and got two Immodium AD's and chewed them. I managed to hang on and after a very painful 20-30 minutes the feeling finally passed. I would have had this blowout in my friend's BRAND NEW WHITE LEXUS. Now, the day goes on and remember I haven't gone in several days now and I am REALLY constipated. I got home and tried a glycerine sypository which did nothing. A couple of hours later I did a Fleet Enema and only managed to get rid of about 1 days' worth. Well now it is the next day. I took my Lomotil and Bentyl because I am afraid not to, but I feel horrible. I usually have my BM's in the AM before work, but nothing today. I'm not sure what to do next. I have only eaten toast today. I am still harboring about 3 days worth of poop and I know I am setting myself up for another blowout. Yesterday was truly the worst day I ever had with this "syndrome".I started Mike's Tapes, but am only on day 4.It seems my IBS has taken a real turn for the worse in the last couple of weeks.Well, thanx for letting me vent.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi bushja1 and thanx for responding. Yes, I thought of the fact I might have picked up something on vacation. I am so miserable right now and Lomotil and Bentyl usually worked well for me. Yesterday, I went with a friend to lunch and after lunch we had to meet another friend in a very empty parking lot to transfer her father-in-law to out car to take him to the airport. Well, right in the middle of nowhere, I came the closest to having a blowout I ever had. I was never to scared about that before. I had taken my meds in the a.m., but again they didn't work. I quickly reached in my purse and got two Immodium AD's and chewed them. I managed to hang on and after a very painful 20-30 minutes the feeling finally passed. I would have had this blowout in my friend's BRAND NEW WHITE LEXUS. Now, the day goes on and remember I haven't gone in several days now and I am REALLY constipated. I got home and tried a glycerine sypository which did nothing. A couple of hours later I did a Fleet Enema and only managed to get rid of about 1 days' worth. Well now it is the next day. I took my Lomotil and Bentyl because I am afraid not to, but I feel horrible. I usually have my BM's in the AM before work, but nothing today. I'm not sure what to do next. I have only eaten toast today. I am still harboring about 3 days worth of poop and I know I am setting myself up for another blowout. Yesterday was truly the worst day I ever had with this "syndrome".I started Mike's Tapes, but am only on day 4.It seems my IBS has taken a real turn for the worse in the last couple of weeks.Well, thanx for letting me vent.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Charbeaner: I so totally relate to your situation. I went to Punta Cana last april and have not been right since. The Dr. Assures me it is not a bug but IBS. I am normally IBS-d, and take immodium for the symptoms but as you noted, It causes "c". I seldom take anything for it however unless 5 days pass without a bm. I find if I take and enema or laxitive, it just starts off a different round of problems.. If anything I just start on Metemucil and lots of water. Seems to finally sort itself out,,, but in the meantime it is miserable. - Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
222 Posts
Charbeaner: I so totally relate to your situation. I went to Punta Cana last april and have not been right since. The Dr. Assures me it is not a bug but IBS. I am normally IBS-d, and take immodium for the symptoms but as you noted, It causes "c". I seldom take anything for it however unless 5 days pass without a bm. I find if I take and enema or laxitive, it just starts off a different round of problems.. If anything I just start on Metemucil and lots of water. Seems to finally sort itself out,,, but in the meantime it is miserable. - Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
661 Posts
What you describe is what I hate worse about IBS Charbeaner. I am on the road most of the day for my job. Somedays when I feel OK I will try to skip my Lomotil. Well, almost without fail, I will be driving down the road feeling fine and all of a sudden the urge is almost overwhelming and the search for a bathroom begins. Naturally, when I start to worry about having to go is when I soon will. Anxiety I guess.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.