1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, old and new faces
I am back after a 2/3 week absence due to nonexistant IBS
BUT
last week I found out I had mono, and *pood* IT'S BACK.It seemed like I was cured, no D, no C, no gas, eating extravagant foods (wh/ is tachos and fruit to me lol, and most of all, I felt great. But, it's back, and on top of the mono I have D and pain. No idea if this is linked to it, my doctor just said IBS can come and go in bouts, and it just so happens it came back in this bout of mono. But I don't listen to doctors anyway, what dot hey know, right? lolSO i was wondering if anyone here has experienced mono while being "under the influence" of IBS, or is your IBS seemed worse during mono. Just curious.....Take care and hope to hear from you!Katherine

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Oh Katherine..... honey, I am so sorry this happened to you. Years ago I got mono, and went through a really rough time, lots of nausea, vomiting, couldn't eat more than a bite or two. Those were my symptoms other than exhaustion. The dog diagnosed pregnancy. I went back insisting he give me something for the nausea, told him a baby needed nutrition, and he then ran more tests, and said he had been wrong, it was mono, go home and rest... etc.. I lost 40 pounds in a month, and had several re-occurances over the next year. STAY home and in bed until it is completely done, don't cause it to come back and bite you on the rebound.

G

·
Katherine,I had mono when I was 15, so about 10 years ago. This was the start of my IBS, albeit a mild start. I was really sick with the mono, in bed for months, and my stomach was sensitive ever since. Although, it wasn't until my bout with food poisoning at 19 that the IBS REALLY reared it's ugly head.
So, I don't know if there is a link. My doctor did mention something at one point about an impaired immune system having a possible effect on my troubles. Although it has been 10 years since my mono, my immune system has never been the same!!Rest alot and follow the doctors orders. You need to be good to yourself when you have mono. Your immune system is messed up right now, so just take it easy and you'll get through it! Good luck!!
------------------~If I'm gonna go down, I'm gonna do it with style ... and you won't see me surrender~

G

·
Hi there. I was diagnosed with ibs (spastic colon back then) after my little onset with mono. Which I might add I got shortly after the birth of my first son; ) My ibs laid dormant for 10 years and this past spring, it hit me hard again. I think they are connected, Probly all the stress. take care and get your rest. Get better soon.Kim

G

·
Hi- I had mono (along with a bad case of strep throat)20 years ago when I was in my 20's. I remember feeling really lousy, tired, sweaty and not at all hungry for the whole summer. My IBS has waxed and waned through the years and I cant say that in my case mono set off a flareup, or if it did the rest of me felt worse at the time. Thats a real drag dealing with both problems, try and get enough rest, let other people do things for you if you can so you'll get your strength back faster.I hope you feel better soon
------------------Nancy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your weel wishes guys! I said it once, but I'll say it again, I love the people here
I'm resting alot, just watched a movie (Message in a Bottle- sad flick!!) and have a little boost of energy, so thought I'd do some schoolwork and check in here. From what I understand with your responces mono does bring back or start up IBS. Mono weakens your system so much it's no wonder your bowels are affected. Take care everyone and have a wonderful IBS free night if posible!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.