Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ~I am 'fairly' new to this whole IBS thing (<1yr) but I have learned so much from this BB that I sometimes feel like a pro
-- until I have a relapse of pain and irregular BM's that again reminds me that I know almost NOTHING about this syndrome (like today)
So, here's my question -- what's better for the digestive system of an IBS-D person (or IBS-A?), MORE food (but spread out throughout the day, of course) or LESS food. Several months ago I decided to increase the dietary fiber I was getting, so I increased the amount of food I was eating daily (so I could get the fiber in my diet rather than via a supplement)...and that seemed to be working... for a while.... Then I realized I was gaining a bit of weight plus the IBS symptoms weren't all that much better, so I have lately switched back to eating less. I feel like that has been working... but now I'm not so sure anymore.What have your experiences been with this?? Is more food better because there is always something moving through my digestive system or is less food better because it causes less 'stress' for the digestive system?Any thoughts are welcome - please share!Thank you

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am still trying to figure this out for myself. Again, as all things with IBS, it's probably an individual thing. I know that when I go a long time without eating and get really hungry, my stomach gets sore. So I have been eating more now, and have of course gained weight. Arg.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Candy,I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I'm afraid that people are all individuals and what works for one person with IBS-D does not necessarily work for another. For that matter, what may work for an individual during a certain time period may not work well later. Bodies change all the time and needs change.What has worked well for me is to alter my diet or supplements every time I hit a rut in my symptoms. I'll give new things a try for 1 week (unless it causes immediate discomfort or pain) and then switch if it is not working.If eating less food is working for you right now, I would go with that. Be careful to make sure that you are getting enough nutrients, though. Your body can't heal itself if it doesn't have the tools.If tolerated, try the following:1) Whey protein powder smoothie with banana. 1 scoop/day in milk, soymilk, or coconut milk.2) Green powder in apple juice. 2 Tbs in 8oz juice/day. Good brand: Garden of Life's Perfect Food Original. Equivalent to 5-10 servings of veggies.3) Yogurt, plain, whole milk, preferrably organic. 1c per day. This will give you approx. 10g of protein per serving. Your body uses protein to build things... like the mucosal lining of your intestines.All of the above are liquid-type foods and are usually easily digested. In addition, I recommend taking a digestive enzyme supplement like DigestGold by Enzymedica. Take 1 tab with each meal. It helps break down proteins, carbs, and fats.Best of luck!Laylo

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I can find you liquid meals replacements harmfuls.check at my erythritol topic i offer webs sites.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I have read that the key is to have small meals spread through out the day(something like 6) for many IBS'ers who can't tolerate fat so you don't get too much fat in your system all at once.I have mainly gas most of the time and due to the exaggerated colonic reflex, I pass gas everytime I eat. So if I am on a job, I don't eat the whole day. Although after much trial and error I have discovered that it is fructose which causes gas in me and not fat so I can have quite a few fructose free meals through out the day and not have gas. However without veggies and fruit and wheat in my diet , because I ended up having high fat meals I put on weight. So I have to find the right balance. Maybe high protein and low fat.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
posted 02-23-2004 08:16 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I can find you liquid meals replacements harmfuls.check at my erythritol topic i offer webs sites.Sorry not harmfull but HARMLESS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had about a week of moderate relief now from IBS-C/D, but I had eaten almost nothing. literally. I had one or two ensure everyday, and on occasion a bowl of rice. Also water and lots of pills. I felt really good in comparison to normal. Well, today I decided i'd give food a go and ate a subway sandwich. It's been ok since, but not as good. I am also terrified that it's going to start back up.But this week has been good. And also since I started Fiber and Calcium.BUT, i'm worried, as I haven't had a bowel movement at all for over a week. Hopefully the sandwich will come out ok.Scott

·
Registered
709 Posts
candy
for me, i find it helpful to eat more often, not more food....like spread out what i eat to 2-3 hour intervals...small amounts at one sitting..cuz yeah, i find if i don't eat for a while, my stomach starts acting up cuz it doesn't know what to do with itself!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with all of the above comments and just wanted to offer my own. Increasing the amount of fiber for someone with IBS-D will definitely help you form more regular stools. I take Citrucel every day and generally try to increase the amount of fiber that I eat at every meal. You can go overboard, though. You should figure out what helps you and change it if you need to.More generally, though, I feel the best if I eat moderate sized meals throughout the day. I also have acid-reflux, so its important for me not to let my stomach get totally empty. I think that is good advice for anyone with IBS, though. Trigger foods on an empty stomach are the worst. While I can tolerate many things if my stomach has some fiber in it, on an empty stomach, most things will trigger symptoms.That said, overeating also can trigger symptoms -- especially if bile adds to your problem. Many of us with IBS-D have had our gallbladders out or have bile salt diarrhea. It may not be the only problem we have, and in my case I think its combined with general IBS. For those of us with these problems, it is important to not overeat because that can dump a lot of bile into your stomach at once, causing diarrhea.I would try making sure your stomach is never completely empty. Have some kind of high fiber snack around (for me, I use granola bars) so that you can eat if you get hungry at all. At meals, just make sure you don't overeat and you eat slowly. This is a biggie. I realized that most of the times I was having symptoms during meals it was because I was scarfing things down. Now, I take at least 20-30 minutes to eat dinner or lunch, preferring to "dine" whenever possible.

89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi!
Thanks to everyone who responded -- I know that what most of you are saying (re: eating small meals every 2-3 hours all day) is probably the best way to go... I think the reason I posted was basically because I just needed to vent. I used to be naueseous all day long and now (thankfully) I am only nauseous once in a while, but it tends to be after I eat. Feeling like you're going to throw up after you eat (almost every time) kind of makes you not want to eat...know what I mean? Judging by some of your posts, you do (unfortunately).So I just felt like I was playing with a giant teeter-totter (IBS) -- this syndrome can be so finicky!! and I get fed up with trying to make things right sometimes...Realist - sounds like me, Laylo - thanks for the nutritional advice, Twin - I am currently taking an antispasmodic (selective for the smooth muscle of the gut, called Dicetel) and I think it may be helping a little, I also stay away from all those irritants you mentioned and have been for many months now (but thanks for your advice), spasman - thanks, bonnie - i agree with the smaller meals idea and don't envy you for trying to maintain a diet without fructose (yikes!), spin - just so you know, rice is very constipating so if you're already blocked up it might not be the best food to eat!, min. & allinknots - thanks for the advice, and backfire - again, words of wisdom Thank you guys, honestly I don't know what I would do without this BB. Hope everyone stays happy & healthy!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oooh, I got "words of wisdom." I think I've graduated from novice to wiseman now.
Know what you mean about venting. Some days, I get so fed up and just feel like breaking things (fortunately for my furniture and windows, I prefer punching pillows or working out). Keep the faith -- bad days are always followed by better ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.