Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very concerned about my IBS because it has actually become worse with pregnancy. I'm about 1 month. Is is normal for it to become worse? Since I've been hearing that itusually gets better.Also, can IBS cause miscarriage or is it aseparate issue all together? and should not affect the pregnancy at all even though my stomach is bothering me?Thanks, your responses are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi burny. Well if your only a month pregnant you should still have much hope in it getting better. Although I did not have IBS when I was pregnant with my son, being constipated didn't hit me till well in to the second trimester (around 14 weeks I'd say). Many people don't feel well during the first trimester, espeically stomach wise. So hang in there!! I also want to say though that I know a few people who have said that it had stayed the same or gotten worse during their pregnancy. But the majority have said it does get better, because most of the time pregnancy causes constipation.As for miscarring, I would worry about that. IBS will make it harder for YOU if it doesn't improve but the baby will be fine!!Jennifer

·
Registered
109 Posts
IBS cannot cause a miscarriage.That is a fact and dont let anyone tell you differently.My first two pregnancies were a breeze but my third was horrible.My IBS was the worst ever.Everyone is different and every pregnancy is different.Talk to your doctor,there are plenty of things you can take while pregnant that are safe.I hope you feel better soon and congratulations on your pregnancy.beansy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure if I have IBS or not although the sypmtoms are there. I have no diarrhea or constipation. The rest of my sypmtoms coincide with IBS so here goes I had a little girl in 1998 and It was the best. I had hardly any problems.I agree that every one and every pregnancy is different.Good Luck and hang in there.Children are a wonderful Gift from God.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats Burny, You and I sound about the same length of time into this pregnancy ordeal. I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. It is true that everyone is different when it comes to pregnancy and IBS, so I guess we can't all be lucky in that aspect. I hope you start improving soon.You didn't say. Do you suffer from diarrhea or constipation? I have D, so I have found that my pregnancy is slowing things down a bit and I'm not in the bathroom all of the time. If you are D and it is getting worse, you might want to see about getting more calcium either from your diet or vitamins. I take Caltrate Plus and a prenatal.If you need another preg woman to talk to, feel free to send me an email. I'd be happy to talk with someone in the same boat.Christine
Smile, It makes people wonder what you have been up to!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you each and every one of you for yourresponses. It is so comforting to know thatsomeone understands IBS and pregnancy.My OBGYN gave me tips but it seems as if thoughthey don't fully understand IBS. I feel veryrelieved and now I just have to be strong anddeal with it and hopefully it will get better. Thanks for the hope and support!By the way I have both C and D but mostly C.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hi my last pregnancy in 1998 was pure hell with my microscopic colitis. it could have been due to the fact i just got diagnosed right before i got pregnant so they really could not treat me. i had diahrrea 15x a day but my gyno. was not concerned cuz i continued to gain weight. i was in and out of the hospitol after the 1st trimester they gave me donnetal and pain meds. i was having blood all the time also in my diahrrea but since they could tell the baby was ok they did not care i was suffering. near the end i developed a fissure which they told me was hemmroids and i could not sit down and had to soak in tub 2-3 x a day for pain. but the good thing that came out of it was since they thought i had hemmroids they started epidural at the same time they started inducing-they did not let me go past my due date thank goodness. and i did not feel any pain the whole labor and deliver which was only a couple hours long!(it was my third) and my baby noah, who just turned 1 on dec.1, is such an angel, i said the Lord had mercy on me with a good baby and labor cuz my pregnancy was so awful! but i will say a prayer for you that you don't go through what i did and you have more sympathetic doctors then i had!

·
Registered
85 Posts
sorry forgot to tell you one thing, you do have to be careful with the diahrrea because if you get dehydrated it CAN bring on premature labor. so you have to drink lots! this happened to me at 8 months pregnant, i had a severe diahrrea attack and it brought on labor but when i got to hospiitol they started pumping the fluids in me with iv. and the contractions stopped once i was hydrated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.