Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone for their advice...more questions though! What was the first visit to your doctor like? How did you explain your symptoms...is their a common language for this condition? After all my research, there are sooo many variables to IBS symptoms. Was anyone out there as embarrassed as I feel right now about talking about this with a doctor? Did you wait a period of time (I've waited years) before going to the doctor because of this? Did you feel like you were correctly diagnosed

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Write down questions and comments on a notepad before you go in. That way you won't forget anything. He will probably exam your stomach and abdomen area, and listen to the noises your stomach is makin. But be prepared that he MAY exam your rectum (luckily, this didn't happen to me). Don't be embarrassed. The GI sees tons of patients each day.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i was very embarassed, but my desperation helped me overcome it. i'm fortunate enough to have found a doctor that i feel comfortable with. she's very down to earth. my first visit i told her everything, answered all her questions - all in graphic detail. we spoke in layman's terms, like "my stools totally stink", and "so jen when you have gas is it really smelly". i had waited about 18 or 19 years before seeing this doctor. unbelievable now that i think of it.i feel i was correctly diagnosed. i was tested, gave stool samples, and had a colonoscopy. i wish i had gone sooner.-j

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.