Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, posted awhile back about having to go away for the weekend. i got all worked up about it and somehow managed to make it through the experience in 1 piece even though it took and insane amount of preparation on my part. anyhow, gotta go out of town again soon and possibly staring at the possiblity of a 6 hour flight end of summer. even though i did what needed to be done to get through the last travel experience (tums, pepto, immodium, bottled water, eating as safely as possible and trying to get ready four hours before any normal person would get ready) i still feel like i just got lucky. so... i'm off to practice this again at the end of the week, bummed i have to deal with this but nothing helps really. any new and updated advice or just the same old stuff.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I can well understand any worries about 6 hrs in the air. Hopefully it is overnight or at least an afternoon departure. It would be good to build on your experiences from the past trip to see if you can start to expect good outcomes.As far as suggestions, I can say that I am in my 12th year of recovery with flavonoid supplementation. This is not perfect, but if I can stay home until 10 AM for my standard 2 moves a day I usually have no problems. If I have to leave earlier, then it is best to at least be aware of nearby toilets. For me, after 10 steady years of D, it certainly is better than constantly monitoring my diet or living in endless expectation of disasters.Best of luck with your next trip.Mark

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had a comprehensive stool analysis from a lab in NC. There is also one in Texas. They found I am missing the Bidio Strains. I have zero. It should be the predominant strain responsible of cleaning up toxins, fungus, large molecules and even a cancer preventive bacteria. Anyway, I have SIBO with IBS-D. I take imodium ever night before bed with a couple of fiber caps, vit D and calcium tabs. I also take Tetracycline once a month 1000 mg a day for a week. When not on the AB, I take Floragen 3 in the morning with three big glasses of water to try and replace the bacteria that is missing. It does make me gassy. So I doubt I would take it if before flying. However, it works fine to help control the D. Just not farting. I do carry a small "airfreshing" spray in my purse/suitcase/carry on for those emergency bathroom visits. I drink plenty of water, no fruit juice. I take organic fiber bars for food and, if I have to eat, I avoid all food that might give me a reaction (dairy, coffee, chips, pork, corn, greasy stuff, butter, alcohol, fruit juice). It is hard and believe me you have my sympathy. I hate being away from home because I ALWAYS get sick. You could also try Gas-X. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i'm back, no major incidents other than a lot of anxiety and awareness of every little pain or gurgle. as always it takes me 3-4 hours to 'prepare' before going out which ends up leaving me tired all the time because i have to get up 2 hours earlier than i normally would but it's either that or be stranded in a broken down subway packed in like sardines having a panic attack.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well again I am glad that you had no problems this time either! Maybe try to keep that in mind when you have another trip. Yes we may have to do a bit more prep to go and do and see things .. but I find it is always better to do that prep than sit home housebound and miserable.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can well understand any worries about 6 hrs in the air. Hopefully it is overnight or at least an afternoon departure. It would be good to build on your experiences from the past trip to see if you can start to expect good outcomes.As far as suggestions, I can say that I am in my 12th year of recovery with flavonoid supplementation. This is not perfect, but if I can stay home until 10 AM for my standard 2 moves a day I usually have no problems. If I have to leave earlier, then it is best to at least be aware of nearby toilets. For me, after 10 steady years of D, it certainly is better than constantly monitoring my diet or living in endless expectation of disasters.Best of luck with your next trip.Mark
Mark, I am sure you have it posted in here somewhere, but what flavonoid do you buy? What else are you taking to help and were you IBS-D, SIBO, A or C?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 weeks until i'll be up and down in the air for 6-8 hrs... 6am flight too which is the absolute worst time for me because it means i have to get up at like 4am and 2 hrs is the bare minimum i require to prepare. any advice????? i'm kind of just planning on only eating really basic stuff for 48 hrs prior to and then maybe having some gatorade handy. i'm already nervous.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
any advice?????
Yes.. focus on your previous successes and plan & prepare as you did then. Only this time... try to knock the nervousness down a bit by thinking about how well you have done on past trips.All the best for a wonderful trip!

·
Registered
307 Posts
2 weeks until i'll be up and down in the air for 6-8 hrs... 6am flight too which is the absolute worst time for me because it means i have to get up at like 4am and 2 hrs is the bare minimum i require to prepare. any advice????? i'm kind of just planning on only eating really basic stuff for 48 hrs prior to and then maybe having some gatorade handy. i'm already nervous.
Gatorade is safe for you?I remember someone else claiming gatorade was a trigger for them.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
If you skip meals you can expect some D. IBS guts like to be busy. So many find skipping meals can bring on more D once food is eaten. Also I think if you cut the gatorade with water .. like half & half.... you should be fine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you skip meals you can expect some D. IBS guts like to be busy. So many find skipping meals can bring on more D once food is eaten. Also I think if you cut the gatorade with water .. like half & half.... you should be fine.
Not sure I can agree with this. Havn't noticed this myself but I rarely skip meals all together.But if I have to travel somewhere I don't eat close to that time. And if that means delaying food 2 hours I will do it. Because by then the imodium will have kicked in and I can eat again.Otherwise I never skips meals so don't know. But definatly delaying or eating earlier when going somewhere can be good.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Not sure I can agree with this
That's ok.. it may not be your experience but it is mine and others'. I was speaking about skipping meals all together not delaying them or altering the time of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's ok.. it may not be your experience but it is mine and others'. I was speaking about skipping meals all together not delaying them or altering the time of them.
I would like to share my travel story. I have recently been diagnosed with IBS and the first trip I took after my diagnoses was to Idaho with my dad and grandmothers. I am a twenty five year old female by the way. The flight was horrible and we were stuck on the ground 7 hours in Seattle, but luckily no diarrhea. Later that night however a I got horrible diarrhea at a fast food restaurant and was in their restroom for close to 45 minutes. The rest of the trip I had all my major IBS symptoms and it was horrible. I was so worried about the plane ride home, you know during take off and landing when no one is allowed out of their seats. My grandmother even wanted to buy me adult diapers but luckily on the way home I had no diarrhea and no problems. I usually get diarrhea everyday and I recently went on a trip to Hawaii a nearly 6 hour flight for me. The way there I was very nervous but some how was able to relax and no incidents on the plane. The way home however I had all my IBS symptoms due to something I had eaten the morning I am sure. I was in the bathroom probably 7 times on the plane and it was no problem. My advice to you is to let the flight attendant know you have a medical problem that may require you to use the restroom a lot. I was very uncomfortable and sick on the way home but now that I have been through that I feel like I can make it through anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.