Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little curious...anyone else experience anything like this?For about the past 1 1/2 to 2 months now, every morning first thing when I get up I start gagging like I'm going to vomit. I never actually do vomit, but this gagging is driving me nuts. And usually, once the little episode is over, I'm fine the rest of the day.Occasionally I'll gag in the day but never like the morning. And I can gag right after a full meal and never come close to vomiting.It always feels like it's coming from the throat area (like something is stuck there) and not from the stomach.Sometimes too I'll 'sort of' spit up what appears to be phlegm (one morning it was almost like a ball of it came out) and I will feel immensely better after this.One doctor said it could be allergies and the stuff dripping down my throat at night. I guess he could be right but I've never experienced anything like this before and it's making me crazy (not the least to say grossing out my wife!).I'd swear I was pregnant except I'm a guy!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
kman,Sounds like you've got one of two things going on: either too much sinus drainage and it is upsetting your stomach or you have reflux. I have been diagnosed with reflux and I have never had any heartburn. My predominant symptom, when it acts up, is queasiness in the morning and after large, fatty meals. The reason it is worse in the a.m. is that while you are in a reclining position at night, the acid washes up and irritates your esophagus. In severe cases it causes heartburn, in some it triggers nausea. It really seems to irritate the gag reflex. People who suffer from reflux are also very sensitive to post-nasal drip and this will aggravate the reflux condition. Just out of curiosity, you could go on a 2-week trial of Pepcid or Axid. Take one before bed everyday and see if you get an improvement. This won't be totally definitive though as these drugs don't always work for reflux sufferers, but you could try.Christine

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yup - I agree with christine. I too, have reflux but no heartburn, that manifested itself as nausea and lots of phlem in the morning. I'm not a smoker, bit sounded like one; I hacked and hucked up stuff every morning.Mine ended up causing sinus infections. I took Prilosec and it cleared it up. Now, I use it only when the post-nasal drip gets bad to keep it under control.Check it out - GERD, like IBS, manifests itself in many different ways...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeez! If it's not one thing to worry about, it's another! I'll give those meds a try and see if it improves anything. I DO get the occasional heartburn but also just attributed it to something I ate, etc. Maybe this is some of my problem.I head back to the doc for my physical follow up in two weeks so if nothing else, maybe he can help by then.Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the Pepcid last night...it worked!Whether it was coincidence, a plecebo effect or it actually worked, who cares...This was the first morning in nearly a month that I didn't wake up gagging and heaving. It was awesome! I didn't even feel remotely like there was anything caught or tickling my throat to start it all up. It was business as usual.Thanks for the tip...will let you know how it goes over the course of a few days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same feeling twice in the afternoon though just after work. But, only 2 times though. Sometimes after I eat. Plus it seems as it takes me longer to digest foods afetr I eat as well. I have gagged as well or felt like gagging. Marleen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh well...day two and the gag returns.It was quick again this morning though...a couple of gags, a big ball of phlegm came out and it was all over.Argh!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take a box or two of pepcid or tagumet when I have naseau- take it regular for 2 weeks and that eliminates the morning naseau for me (comes about1 or twice a year). Had someone suggest this and never has failed to work- just be regular in taking pepcid or T(every 4 or whatever hours it says) for at least a week or more straight- can't hurt might eliminate the gagging.... does me, every time....

·
Registered
239 Posts
kman,It sounds as if you have some SERIOUS post nasal drip. Do you have allergies?? That kind of mucous will definitely make you sick. Regarding the Pepcid, just one tablet won't really do the trick. If you truly have GERD, you need to take the Pepcid long-term to see any results. Actually, if you really have GERD Pepcid may or may not work. I have to take a prescription med for mine (Prilosec) as I wasn't getting much relief from prescription strength Pepcid. Also, the Pepcid was making me dizzy. Prilosec has less side effects, believe it or not. I believe you said you would be seeing your doctor soon. Please discuss the nausea. You may actually be better off with one of the new nasal sprays that are out for allergic rhinitis.Christine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, day three on the Pepcid experiment and this morning again, NO gagging. It's wonderful!But yeah, I have some SERIOUS post nasal drip. I think the combo of the Pepcid and Allegra seem to alleviate all the morning nasties. It's like I'm a whole different person.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts