Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My symptoms are always worse in the morning. I wake up with cramps and bloating. The lower left side of my abdomen is distended and I have lots of gas,burping, nausea and no appatite. Usually have to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times before I feel any relief but by the afternoon I usually feel better and my appatite comes back. I tried not eating for at least 2 hours before going to sleep but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It sucks! I used to look forward to eating but now it's more of a chore. Anyone else feel morning symptoms? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually what you do the night before isn't much help.The colon is always in every person most active around the time you get up (or around dawn as sometimes it is earlier than people may want to get up).You might try either the calcium with each meal (as it firms up the stool a bit and that can sometimes help) or try Imodium 2X a day morning and night, so right when you get up and then 12 hours later. Start low and see what dose it takes to get control.Assuming you've been to the doctor and know this is IBS. Some prescriptions may help, like an antispasmodic (particularly if you get a sublingual one so you can pop it in right when you get up.Avoiding coffee until things settle down may help as it increases colon activity right when you don't want it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually what you do the night before isn't much help.The colon is always in every person most active around the time you get up (or around dawn as sometimes it is earlier than people may want to get up).You might try either the calcium with each meal (as it firms up the stool a bit and that can sometimes help) or try Imodium 2X a day morning and night, so right when you get up and then 12 hours later. Start low and see what dose it takes to get control.Assuming you've been to the doctor and know this is IBS. Some prescriptions may help, like an antispasmodic (particularly if you get a sublingual one so you can pop it in right when you get up.Avoiding coffee until things settle down may help as it increases colon activity right when you don't want it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I did cut down on caffeine but I'm not sure if it helped or not. I tried taking one immodiium before going to sleep the other night and it did help some. I was hesitant to do that on a regular basis until I discuss it with my Dr. (I have an appointment with him in 2 weeks). I take metamucil every day and not sure how immodium and metamucil interact with each other. My Dr. is convinced I have IBS and even though this has been going on for many years, and I have had many tests, every now and then I start to make myself nuts that maybe something else is going on. I know that's not rational, but sometimes I just can't control my thoughts. I would just like to wake up feeling great and that just doesn't seem to happen any more.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Metamucil is notorious for causing bloating. My doctor informed me of this last summer when he had me add fiber. After a few days on the M. my bloating got a LOT worse. I switched to Citrucel and it was much, much better. So you may want to try a different type of fiber and see if that helps any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.