Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mornings, or rather the first 5 or so hours of the day are always the worse for me. I can't eat breakfast, as if I do, I am destined for a day in the bathroom. Literally any intake of food or drink will immediately set me off worse than it usually is. Even when I don't eat breakfast, though, I always have multiple episodes of pain/cramping/soft stools each day around this time. I, as we all have to, make accommodations for this in my life, and always get up much, much earlier than needed so that I have the hours needed to finish up these morning attacks.I've tried lots of things to combat them, and it seems that nothing has worked. I've tried taking an immodium the night before at dinner, also before sleep, and then as soon as I awaken. Immodium stops working for me if I take it multiple days in a row, no matter if I take it at each meal. I've certainly tried the gamut of prescription meds and none have helped my case.I'm in the process of trying the calcium supplement which is outlined in the above forum. I take a daily probiotic too (which helps me with gas). Since I've been on over 20 meds to try and fight this, I'll try out the last resort- Lotronex-starting in a few weeks. I wondered if anyone had other ideas or home remedies for how to treat the daily morning attacks.I hate this thing! And like many of us am at my wit's end.

·
Banned
240 Posts
I've released about a pound of watery stooleach morning for the last few mornings.Imodium makes me too drowsy so I don't take it but it works very well. I only took it the other day cause I had an appt.with a surgeon. No suggestions here other than attempt to work on stressif stress is an issue.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yep I hate the mornings although currently they are a little better than they were in the past. I still have to get up a lot earlier to allow for the extra time spent on the toilet. Imodiums never worked for me if I took them the night before or with a meal. I always found the best way was to take them as soon as I get out of bed on an empty stomach and 2. Then I can take more a bit later on or stick with the 2 depending how bad things are. Taking them in the morning never stops the problems that I have in the morning. Meaning it helps for later on in the day but it dosen't matter how many tablets I take as soon as I get up - I still have to sit on the toilet for hours in the morning. The immodiums never stoppped that just help me for later on. I have sometimes wondered whether it would be easier to just not go to bed as things can be much calmer at the end of the day and then I just know when I get up in the morning it will all be back again. I think the getting up really early does help although being a nightowl I do struggle with that quite a bit. I now take propranolol to calm me down a bit as I do get in a real flap in the mornings because I have to get to work by a certain time and not being able to get off the toilet does make things very difficult. So they do help the anxiety issues that have got worse over time. As when i get stressed out I then make more diarrhea and it goes on and on.

·
Registered
976 Posts
ClaireukI am exactly like you, my mornings are bad, I take imodium on a empty stomach as soon as i get up, and still I have to rush to the toilet 2-3 times with urgent loose stools, it then seems to work after lunchtime, occasionally I will have to take another Imodium before lunch. Taking them at night doesnt seem to help me either. I take Buspar 15mg a day for the anxiety, I did not have anxiety until the Ibs-d got so bad at the begining of last year, then like you said the anxiety makes the D worse and then the Imodiums dont work. It does make going out hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
morning suck... i make it a point to be up 2 and 1/2 hrs before i have to be at work...im really having a bad day today woke up with baddddd diarrehea....i feel like my life has been taken over by IBS. Everyday revolves around the same thing....wondering if im gonna feel sick when i wake up and where the next bathroom is. I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy its a terrible thing to go through im having a pretty depressing day....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts