Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I used to be into the martial arts when I was younger. Around junior year of college, I injured my spine in a martial arts accident and had to go to the doctor. Of course the doctor orders X-rays. He comes back with this puzzled look on his face and asks me when the last time was that I had a BM. Now, as it so happens, that day I had gone about 8 times or so (my IBS fluctutates between C and D). The doctor looks stunned when I tell him this and shows me the X-rays he just took. My large intestine was clearly visible in each of the shots because the fecal matter was so tightly packed that it was actually blocking passage of the X-rays. The doc couldn't get a clear shot of my spine where the injury occurred because of the mess.Seeing those X-rays scared the bejezus out of me at the time, but it was also extremely humiliating. This particular doctor wasn't my primary physician and he'd never heard of IBS. He said that based on those X-rays he was tempted to have me rushed to the hospital and checked for intestinal blockage, but since I'd gone 8 times that day a block didn't seem possible. Just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this. I remember it was kind of a wake-up call for me that my IBS was out of control.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I know I've had IBS for awhile now, but it wasn't until about 2- 2 1/2 weeks ago that I went to a doctor for it. I was so constipated I felt toxic!! It just kept getting worse; I literally wake up about 3 hours early before work to deal with going to the bathroom. Embarassing, but most mornings I need to jump up and down in place (on and off) to move my food down to come out! My whole system has just "shut down."My doctor put me on Zelmorm 2 weeks ago, after a colonoscopy. He told me I was one of the worst cases he's seen, and estimated before my colonoscopy I had about 5 feet of impacted fecal matter inside of me...I was stuffed full! It took me 2 1/2 days to clean my system out for the procedure (clear liquids only, Fleets Phospo-soda 6 times, and Dulcolax). I was amazed at the amount of junk in me...no wonder I feel toxic! It was embarassing and scary!!After the procedure, I started Zelnorm (I didn't appear to have blockage, my system just quit moving food in my intestines...like they were dead). Except for one day, I have had a BM every morning...I still need to jump up and down most mornings, but only for about 10 minutes compared to 2-3 hours. I am interested to see how I feel in another month on this stuff.I know your embarassment! It is humiliating...we shouldn't have to suffer like this. I just want to be normal; unfortunately, I don't even remember what that's like where my digestive tract is concerned.Hang in there, SDGundamX. Are you on any medications right now, or over-the-counter products??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I did the medical route years ago. The side effects were worse than the IBS. These days I just use diet and exercise as my main control mechanisms and that works out pretty well for me. I lead a pretty normal life with only occasional (a few times a year) problems.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Toxic is definitely how I would describe feeling when you can't have a BM...it's awful. Everyone should just make sure they are doing SOMETHING about their c because I heard it is actually possible to die from constipation! Ahhh!Yay for Zelnorm. What did people do before it came out? Jumping up and down does help, but not nearly as much

·
Registered
34 Posts
Vena,Do you jump up and down, too??? I feel so ridiculous even admitting that!!! I thought I was the only one who resorts to that every morning.....This website helps me not feel so crazy or alone!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello,everybody. C is a humbling phenomenon.I eat only cooked veggie plus Romaine lettuce. I cannot jump because of osteoarthritis. I do work out regularly. But my C is Mein Kampf Amazing is the booklet: The Handbook for a Healthy Colon. I've learned so much. Enema appears to be not only a relief but a good treatment. Please read the book

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.