Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it's not one thing, it's another. My IBS has benn grand lately, if anything I've actually been constipated, which I'm not complaining about. But now I have the most painful canker sore on the tip of my tongue (and other on my cheek but not as painfull). I can't even talk properly, I sound drunk, and I can't eat either. I've always suffered on and off with this ugly sores, so I am an expert on medicines and SLS free toothpaste, but nothing is working on this one. The medicine doesn't stay on, as my tongue moves. I read somewhere that as the mouth is part of the digestive system, it can be related to IBS and chrown's, etc. sorry for the rant but I'm in sooo much pain!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Get yourself tested for Helicobacter pylori infection.Note: the association between H. pylori and aphthous ulcers is controversial. However, given that testing for this bugger is cheap (urea breath test - if you have them in the mouth you most certainly have them in the stomach) it could be a great way to get rid of a potential source of infection and some "IBS symptoms".

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
{{{{{moni}}}}}... you poor soul! i feel your pain! last time i so stupidly mounched on my tongue and it took quite a few days for the wound to run its full course, even with VC, B2, etc! Nanobug's right, it's always safe to get tested.but in the mean time, do rant, it's totally okay! Hugs!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Cheri: thanks for the symphaty, it hurst so much, I can't pronounce my "T"'s so I have a lisp right now. Nanobug, I will ask my doctor about that test, thanks. I read today about applying tea tree oil directly onto the sores, and it's actually looking a little bit better. Thanks for letting me rant guys!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Oh, Moni! They are so painful!! My hubby gets them so bad! There is this stuff that the dentist put on mine a few times that shrunk that thing up. It was healed in no time. Especially when on the tip of the tongue and nothing sticks. I hope you feel better soon. You probably already know this, but L-Lysine is very good for preventing canker sores. Let me know if you haven't heard of it, and I'll 'splain, Lucy!
Has school started up again for you?{{{{Moni}}}} Hugs for you!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
{{{Jan}}}: Hi, how are you doing? I start school next Tuesday, which is my birthday, hurray(not). My ulcer on my tongue is gone
I put pure tea tree oil on it, it really helped! I also started taking L-Lysine. I had heard of it, but never bought it, now that I had 4 ulcers at once, I decided to try it. Those things are painful! But on a happy note my IBS is great! {{{Jan}}} Hugs to you too!
Moni

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SLS stands for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and it's what makes regular toothpastes foam, making you think they are cleaning better (but it makes no difference). It's thought that SLS may trigger canker sores. I use Biotene toothpaste as it's the only one I've found so far that's SLS free.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Oh, so glad your canker sore is better!! Yup, the L-Lysine is good stuff! I'll have to remember the tea tree oil to try on my husband's canker sores when he gets one to see if it works for him. His get so bad his lymph glands under his jaw swell. Ugh! And, so glad your IBS is doing great!!! Let's dance!
Have a Happy Birthday on the 16th
and a great first day back to school
and I'll be at the neurosurgeon's being told whether we'll be doing back surgery on me or not.
I go for my MRI and flex xray on the 11th, and then I'll see him on that Tuesday. It's been pretty rough for me the last couple of weeks, but I'm hanging in there, and emotionally, the last two days have been much better. My IBS is not too bad, so that is one blessing! And, my husband has been so incredible through all this! Anyway, blah, blah, blah, enough about me! I hope you have a great semester, and remember, we're here for moral support anytime you need us, whether it's for ibs, school, life in general!!
{{{{Moni}}}} Thanks for being my "online" friend! You can never have too many friends, be it online or in person!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
{{{Jan}}} I'm sorry you are having a rough time with your back, I really hope the surgery works for you. My husband has a bulging disc and osteoarthritis in some vertebrae. He had his MRI a couple of months ago, but they only gave him this patches which don't work. I think he needs to go to the neurosurgeon but he won't. I'm having Lasik surgery this Thursday, I'm really exited about that, I'll be rid of my glasses, hurray! I'm doing good with my IBS, but I had a panic attack yesterday at the optician's, don't even know why! Those suck!
Anyway, thanks for all the good wishes, and I'm here for you!
Moni

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Moni;that's awesome about you getting Lasix surgery. My SIL got it done, and is so happy with the results.Sorry about your panic attack!
They seem to be going around!
Had wicked anxiety all day today. I finally took an Ativan, and felt better. It's like I was telling Feisty, it's the unknown that's worse than the knowing, so after next Tuesday, I'll know our course of action for my back. Oh, and my IBS is doing a swing cycle. I'm not going in the morning, and now going in the evening shortly after dinner. I remember this happening to me a few times over the years. A real pain in the a**!
'cause it feels like I have to go in the am, but nothing comes out. My hubby and I went to dinner over at my mom and dad's, which is only about 5 minutes or so from our house, but about an hour after dinner, the rumbling started, then the severe cramping. I beelined it for my car and raced home. Thankfully, I made it! I would've gone at my parent's, but they only have one bathroom, no fan vent, and it's very close to the living room and dining room. I knew I was going to be sitting for a while on the throne, so I opted to be on the comfort of my own throne! LOL Good thing they only live five minutes away or I would've had to tell them to talk loud or something so I could've "gone"! Hee, Hee!! My dad offered to open up the bathroom window, and go out and start his car, so it would sound like a fan! Wise Guy!
Thanks for being there for me, and you're welcome for all the good wishes!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, I love your dad's plan of action! I remember visiting my mom's house, and having bad D, and the bathroom door was broken, it wouldn't lock, and it had a window at the top, with no glass on, so basically a big great hole! I used to hang a towel over it but then the door wouldn't close all the way
And one time I was in there with all the noise and my sister was outside and she laughed!
I was so mad at her! What's Ativan? I'm less anxious than before taking lexapro but still with the panic attacks. Anyway, we both have big days on tuesday and here is wishing for the best
Moni

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.