Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've had IBS for 7 years now. Although the physical pain & discomfort has been at times aweful, by far the biggest negative IBS has brought me has been the heartbreaking social isolation. I've pretty much dropped out of society. I rarely go out far from home and pretty much never go out socially i.e. for a party/concert/date/travel, etc. My reason for this is sheer fear of having one of my uncontrollable bouts of cramping burning D. All of my other symptoms I can "suffer in silence", but unfortunately, this symptom has a potential ~external~ impact that I find horrifying to imagine.Still at this point, I'm starting to care less about that. My condition has fluctuated from really bad, to sort of ok, to recently very iffy. Although I hate the thought, I've finally realized I can't just keep waiting to "turn the corner". And I'm so maddeningly frustrated for all the years I've already lost, that I've decided I just can't let these fears hold me back anymore. So on that note, I've got a new more aggressive "game plan" that I wanted to post to see if any of those who've managed to get on with their lives might have any thoughts:* go through one more round w/ the doctors/tests (it's been 4 yrs., worth another try)* do another round of trying different therapies (prescriptions, supplements, self-hypnosis, etc.)* start bringing an "accident kit" wherever I go (i.e. would have TP, baby wipes, imodium, etc.)* start wearing adult diapers wherever I go (even if not needed the extra protection might help psychologically)* get/make one of those cards that says "I have an urgent bowel condition, need the bathroom now"* start going out in baby steps, say to small gatherings nearby, or maybe take a short weekend trip somewhere, etc.thanks for any comments/ideas

·
Registered
140 Posts
Another round of tests certainly sounds like a good idea, if you can manage it. Diarrhea severe enough that you are considering adult diapers is pretty bad. Sounds more indicative of Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. Your plan sounds great. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouragement Wonky. I know, I can't believe I'm considering the diapers thing, but I have had a few close calls. Hopefully I wouldn't need them but it might help me get my confidence back especially for situations where bathroom access is limited e.g. on the subway, a crowded theater, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.