Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm moving from Pennsylvania to California, a 2,500 mile drive. I need suggestions. I have chronic D, every morning when I wake up. It lasts abouttt 2 hours depending on severity. Sometimes it shows up with out warning in the afternoon. I take immodium in the morning and before every meal, especially if I'm attempting to go out. I'm making the drive with my current roommate, who also suffers from IBS-D.I also just started taking Caltrate.Is there any advice anyone can give us for making this trip?

·
Registered
168 Posts
First of all, if you can get in with your doctor and see if he/she can recommend a better treatment (and if you have the time to experiment with that treatment), I would do so. Also, I would see if you can get copies of your records (especially if you have had testing like colonoscopy, CT, x-ray, etc) and bring them to PA with you. That way when you see your new doctor, you'll have everything for them to look over and you won't be starting completely at square one. I would also get in to see a doctor in PA sooner than later - It's often a lot easier to get an appointment if you're an established patient rather than a new patient (if you're new, they have to book you a longer appointment and it's more difficult to fit into the schedule), that way you won't have to wait days/weeks for an appointment if you're really feeling poorly.As for the drive itself, I'd try to play around with different things while you have the chance - For example, seeing what happens if you space your meals at different times or if you eat different things. I would look at your driving route as best as possible. For example, are these roads going to be highways or turnpikes? Highways are going to be far easier to get off of and will more likely have more bathroom options. Turnpikes may have lines to get off and require payment before you can get off of the road. There's a pretty decent website that lists exits and rest areas for most major roads: http://www.allstays.com/Special/interstate-exits.htm - Also keep in mind the places that are good to use bathrooms. Gas stations typically won't notice if you don't purchase something (some fast food places require that to use their bathrooms, others don't). I've found that BP and Sheetz gas stations usually have bathrooms that don't require you to ask for a key. I know UDF often doesn't have public bathrooms (though that's not the case for all). If there happens to be a library on your exit, that's always a good place to use the bathroom.For the car, I'd recommend wearing clothes that are old and you wouldn't be too hearbroken about if they got stained. I remember putting a garbage bag over my seat when I was driving and feeling sick once - Depending on when you're traveling that might be too hot and uncomfortable, but an old blanket that you don't care too much about could work as well. Have a bag ready with toilet paper (you can often buy smaller rolls in the travel section of stores), paper towels, baby wipes and a change of clothes if you need it. You can also purchase a portable small toilet, though I don't know if you'll have the space for it.And above all, as hard as it sounds, try to relax. I've found that I feel a lot better the more comfortable I am in the situation and having all of these "security" measures may help you do that. Traveling with an understanding friend is very helpful too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.