Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to vent about this. I went in for an MRI today. My doctor wanted me to have one in order to make sure that he isn't missing something that my symptoms could be coming from. I went in to a top city hospital rather than a local one because my doctor could get the results faster. Wow, never again. I've had various tests and procedures at the smaller hospitals near me, and nothing ever happened like what happened today.First off, they wanted to put an IV in, which I wasn't informed of beforehand. Oh well, no big deal I thought. There's then this huge ridiculousness over me not having a vein. I have small veins, but I've always been able to get blood drawn or have an IV. It might just take a few seconds longer. So all these people are coming trying to find a vein and I'm getting poked all over my arms! THEN they decide to call an IV nurse. She comes and supposedly is able to get the IV in. However, at this point I have been pushed to the back of the line for the MRI, which the doctor informs me of snootily like it's my fault. (Mind you, I have to get to work!) Also, I had drank two bottles of that gross liquid, and then I had to drink MORE because I had been sitting for so long!They also tell me that they need to give me a shot that slows down your intestines. So I tell them that they're already slow because I had to take Immodium and Librax just to get there. The woman is annoyed once again at me. Um, how am I supposed to get to the hospital without taking them?!? The info says you can take all medications. So finally after like 2 hours, I get to have the MRI. The first part without the use of the IV goes fine. Then they gave me the shot for the intestines (which I still was not happy about, because really that's the last thing my intestines need) and I go back in. The IV starts up. Ohmygod, it felt like my arm was on fire. Guess what? The IV wasn't in my vein after all, so my arm was filled up with contrast fluid. Also, that means I had to get that intestine shot for nothing because now they can't get the images.So I get sent off with a lovely "infiltration of contrast dye" info sheet, basically being told that I'm a freak of nature because that never happens. I don't even know if they got any good images. I do have an incident form about me now though. My arm hurts and my stomach is a mess. Good times!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hate how they never seem to tell you all the details of the procedure when you're scheduling it. I remember back when I had my CT scan, no one told me about the barium or the IV contrast. The young lady who was in line behind me actually started crying as soon as she heard the IV part - She said if she had known in advance, she could have been calmer and tried to mentally prepare herself, but that it worried her thinking about it all at once. I remember talking to her after I had my procedure to tell her exactly what it was like to have the IV contrast - the overheated flush, the metallic taste and the feeling like you've wet yourself - And I remember thinking, "I don't mind telling her all this, but shouldn't the providers be telling her instead?"I wish that everyone running the tests would have had the procedures in the past - Then they'd know what drinking a bunch of contrast and feeling uncomfortable is like. Actually, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it would help if people showed more compassion every now and then. Sorry you had such a lousy go of it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember talking to her after I had my procedure to tell her exactly what it was like to have the IV contrast - the overheated flush, the metallic taste and the feeling like you've wet yourself - And I remember thinking, "I don't mind telling her all this, but shouldn't the providers be telling her instead?"
They didn't tell me any of that. I thought I was having "lady problems" or had peed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
sounds like healthcare from hell, i had an episode when i was traveling in korea where i got a block in my intestine. it took them eleven attempts to put the IV in, after mangling one arm with 8 tries they finally got it in in the other. i was in so much pain i had full body muscle spasms and apparently the muscle in my arm was so tight it was restricting the veins!MRI contrast tastes aweful, i had more of a skin wetness (like between fingers) that a wet yourself sensation though?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've never had MRI contrast, but I've had two CTs - One was with the chalk colored (and come to think of it, tasting) contrast, the other one looked more like red kool aid, but it definitely did not taste like it. With the IV contrast I immediately felt warm all over and my skin was prickly and my bladder felt warm and full like I had wet myself, but I did not. I also had a slightly metal taste. I had been warned about the feeling like you went to the bathroom thing, so it was the warm sensation that was most concerning for me. Fortunately, my technician was incredibly nice and I don't have issues with needles - My veins are huge.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I once had a stent removed from one of my ureters (the tubes fron your kidney to your bladder) without anaesthetic! Now that truly was the worst medical procedure i've ever experienced..................i wouldn't wish it on osma bin laden! Mmmmm maybe i would.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ouch! Glad to say I've never had that done before. I think it'd be difficult to pick my least favorite medical procedure ever. I think the pain after having screws drilled into my bone was probably the worst - I was under anesthesia for the actual surgery, but the pain afterwards was bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts