Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering from IBS for over 8 years. I had reached the stage of being afraid to go out of the house. I knew the location of every coffee shop and gas station for miles around and would use them as emergency stops to use their facilities. I had given up hope of ever being able to take trips for vacations.There were more foods that I had to avoid than could enjoy. I had believed that dairy products were the worst enemy and went to great lengths to avoid any hint of them in what I ate. One day my son was telling me that he and his wife tried to avoid the use of msg in the food their children ate. He suggested I do a search on the internet and learn more about it. VOILA!!!MSG, also hidden under several different names, has been proven to be a cause of IBS. My doctors had never suggested this to me. I immediately stopped using prepared foods that had any hint of MSG under any name. My symptoms of IBS have disappeared totally. I occasionally get caught by ordering soup in a restaurant and within an hour I suffer the old, explosive diahhrea. As long as I stay away from MSG I am completely back to my pre-IBS life.I also had lactose tolerance tests done and yes, I am lactose intolerant. However, it would seem that a glass of milk produces the strongest reaction and that is simply gas. No diahhrea whatsoever. I now eat cheese, ice cream, yoghurt with no bad affects.I always told myself if I ever found the answer to this horrific problem, I would share it with this group. I have been a member before but cannot remember the name I used.I would like to hear from anyone else that has tried avoiding MSG and what the results were. I wish all of you health, happiness and pain free stomachs.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I avoid MSG at all costs...I get very ill from it. Bad D and headaches; D especially. I'm also lactose intolerant btw.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I don't get IBS symptoms from MSG, but I do get aches and pains in my arms, legs, and head, with fatigue. Also MSG is often made of soy, and I'm allergic to soy.Unless you can find out for sure otherwise, assume any restaurant food is made from a mix, which contains all the same chemicals and additives as any other processed food.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's MSG and it stands for Monosodium Glutamate (sp?)It is found in an overwhelming number of packaged and prepared foods not just chinese foods.You have to read the labels of everything you eat if you are sensitive to this.Many restaurants use it as it is a flavor enhancer. You should ask before you order.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't really believe MSG itself is the direct cause of any physical reactions or problems, especially in the small amounts usually consumed. However, if someone feels better avoiding foods that contain it, I think that is great!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I know MSG doesn't cause my IBS symptoms, however, it does cause me tremendous gastric distress. I avoid MSG at all costs and cannot order Chinese food even though I love it. I eat very simply prepared foods, mostly at home - meat or fish and a vegetable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.