Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes that is correct. MSM (methyl sulfonyl methane)gave me 3 1/2 months of almost symptom free relief. that was after 20 years of uninterrupted suffering from cramping, bloating and constipation. I also had to eliminate sugar and cut back on carbs but the MSM was the UNMISTAKEABLE component to my recovery. now the bad news. i had to quit taking it (15 grams/day) because it caused a horrible bout of anxiety, energy (which had an upside), insomnia, and eventually depression. my theory is that it increased my methionine levels and therefore my adrenalin levels through the roof which also caused a severe drop in my histidine/histamine levels. the loss of histamine may be the cause of the anxiety and insomnia which escalated into a full blown depression. i also think it dropped my serotonin levels (prozac went from 2mg. to 20 mg.)fortunately i was able to quickly reverse it by stopping the MSM and taking some 5-HTP (quit the prozac) and some N-acetyl-L-tyrosine. now i am once again hopeless -- I knew it was too good to be true. this curse will be the death of me yet.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it was truly unbelievable. for the first time in 20 years i had normal peristalsis. i also had very large well-formed bowel movements. all i had to do was take 15 MSM's every morning. plus it gave me loads of energy and it also repaired my badly damaged knee. the only drawback was that it created a nasty chemical imbalance in my brain. now if only i can figure out why it worked i might be able to find a substitute product.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the effects were noticed the very NEXT day!!! i took approx. 15 grams per day. the doctor who wrote the book, The Miracle of MSM, wrote that it does provide swift relief for constipation, relief for allergies, it is anti-viral, anti-parasitic, and as a methyl and sulfur DONOR it helps rebuild critical membranes and tissues.the amazing thing is that this "so called" swift relief was NOT diarhea but instead perfectly formed stools.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yo flux....i read that review a long time ago from quackwatch. i have never read such flawed logic in my entire life. that idiot dietician makes the claim that "none" of us could possibly ever be deficient in methionine because it is in every food on the planet. what a moron!first of all, many of us who have horrible digestion and have trouble breaking protein chains may very well have amino acid deficiencies. also, people who are under a constant, severe allergic attack become deficient in almost everything including B6, folic acid, B12 all of which are critical for the processing of the sulfur amino acids.read the research from the Princeton Biobrain institute and you will see that in cases of chronic illness the most common foulup is in the way our bodies handle sulfur/methionine!!!that fool sold herself out for a lousy $1000. Quackwatch does a lot of good but they sure hosed that one up pretty good.quackwatch is funded by powerful lobby groups that are out to protect large corporate interests.the founder is a pillpushing psychiatrist with an ax to grind.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
overall quackwatch is a BIG JOKE!according to Quackwatch people who claim to have IBS are nothing but a bunch of malingering, head-cases who are looking for extra sick days or just want to whine about something.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:first of all, many of us who have horrible digestion and have trouble breaking protein chains may very well have amino acid deficiencies. also, people who are under a constant, severe allergic attack become deficient in almost everything including B6, folic acid, B12 all of which are critical for the processing of the sulfur amino acids.
Nobody with just IBS has any physical problem with digestion, nor do they have any nutrient deficiencies. Food allergies are generally not associated with IBS and they don't normally cause nutrient deficiencies either.
quote:you will see that in cases of chronic illness the most common foulup is in the way our bodies handle sulfur/methionine!!!
Most diseases have nothing at all do with either of these chemicals.
quote:according to Quackwatch people who claim to have IBS are nothing but a bunch of malingering, head-cases
Another fabrication: http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPromotion/ibs.html

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nobody with just IBS has any physical problem with digestion, nor do they have any nutrient deficiencies. Food allergies are generally not associated with IBS and they don't normally cause nutrient deficiencies either._________________the above is a quote from FLUX (a man desperate for attention because no woman wants anything to do with him)_______________you are sooooooooo wrong! everyone has trigger foods. one of my worst is wheat, but for 10 years i did not know it. the villi in my small intestines were damaged due to this food intolerance which caused all kinds of problems with my digestion. from there everything snowballed.when your villi are flattened and damaged it becomes very difficult to extract the proper nutrients that one needs. when your body starts reacting to almost everything you eat because the person is unaware of what is going on then the body becomes very malnourished.i have numerous test results that show i was deficient in every mineral except calcium which was in the normal range.flux you are sooooooo twisted it is almost scary. you are the type of guy who is likely to become one of these psychopathic serial killers. your every thought is negative. i guess it is better that you are relieving your hostility here than on some innocent women and children. get help. being ugly and undesirable can't be that bad can it?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:everyone has trigger foods.
It doesn't necessarily mean that a person is allergic or even intolerant to it. IBS can exaggerate normal body responses.
quote: when your villi are flattened and damaged
What you are describing is celiac disease, not IBS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mikerralph At the risk of sounding lazy,would you post the places where I could puchase the MSM and two other products that jumpstarted your peristalis, as I am facing a Surgeon who feels that my IBS-C will be eliminated by total colon removal. I have no peristalic movement and have not had any in years. Thanks, Sue

G

·
I'm pretty sure you can find MSM at Walmart, GNC or other health food and nutrition stores...Its worth a try..can't hurt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I took MSM for awhile a couple of years ago for another condition and I don't remember it helping with my constipation. It probably works in people differently. I'd like to try it again and see if it makes things better or not. I got my MSM at GNC. It really helps with people who have rhematoid arthritis.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sue,i have been following your messages. at one point i actually said to myself, "thank God I don't have her problems ------- yet"MSM can be found in any health food store. it is gaining in popularity mostly due to word of mouth. I believe in investigating and research before i make any purchases. therefore i recommend that you read the book, "The Miracle of MSM" by Dr. Stanley Jacob. he emphatically states that it offers "swift relief from constipation".as hiprise states, "it works differently for different people". prior to taking it, i was regularly seeding my intestines with probiotics but that still did not help. all i know is that i took VERY large doses and it just flat out worked. but i also remember that my heart beat became very strong ( it was constantly thumping in my chest), and i felt stronger than in years. the whole problem was that it induced anxiety and insomnia. i was able to calm things down with SSRI's before i switched over to 5-HTP and i also had to take a mood stabilizer to quiet things down.personally, i'd rather suffer from IBS than go through that hell again.however, i think i jumpstarted peristalsis once again without the MSM (although it is nowhere near what it was when i took the MSM)i was on diflucan (yeast killer) for 3 weeks...(it made me extremely sick for 2 weeks), i learned that L. Bifidum causes problems for some people (i think it caused problems for me), so i switched to just acidophilus, and the other thing was heavier dosing of 5-HTP which i learned from this bulletin board stimulates peristalsisgood luck to you

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
flux is a big boy.... he knows he brought it on himself. he needs to just back off. he has screwed with too many people over the last few years. i am tired of it.there is no need to play games with people who are facing life threatening problems.

G

·
I agree that there is no need to play psychological games on this board as people are already suffering. I'm hard on Flux when he's hard on me. I'll back off when he does-those should be the rules. I assume when he persists on replying to people's posts there must be part of him that enjoys taking and giving abuse. No one should be catered to b/c they have personality issues-whether its loneliness, anti-social, grandiosity or manipulation or arrogance. Its hurtful to quote people and make fun of their logic/ideas just to show your arrogance. If you don't want to upset people then you must learn how to act accordingly. Flux deliberately does this to get at people. Its not an accident. Yeah he's a big boy and he can take it indeed. People who are sensitive and easily hurt do not invoke negative reactions to others-=they are much more likely to be peoplepleasers. I don't really think Flux is a peoplepleaser!! LOL! Anyway, I think if someone is acting like this then they deserve and would probably benefit from some plain talk about their own problems/confusions.

G

·
Mike-Also, I'm wondering if you were taking the MSM while taking Prozac. B/c Prozac and Paxil both gave the the exact reaction you describe-lots of energy, total insomnia like nothing I've ever had before and for Prozac-serious anxiety to the point I was freaking out every minute. Paxil did not give me anxiety. I just wonder if the MSM had nothign to do with the bad reaction you had. It really sounds like Prozac to me.

G

·
I hope it turns out to be the Prozac! Honestly, it gave me literally every symptom you describe and was one of the worst experiences of my life. I just hope you can take the MSM again if that is what helped

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Mike, Willie, and board, Well it's payday, went shopping, purchased MSM, and probotica,Walmart. Going to Whole Foods for enzymes,(from Genny's post) although I heard mention on board that a doc presc enzymes to a pt here.Wonder if there is a differnce in strength or effect, OTC versus presc.ha, money?. Mike, I should have taken a pic when I started taking MSM's counting out from bottle, thought to myself,he said he took 15, well here goes!! And yes, you advised that I read the book first, but has been the pattern of my life, I just usually forge forward, do things backwards. I was on Prozac for yrs,and weened myself off of them about 2 yrs ago..about same time I quit drinking..(found something else, to keep me sane.
But, if I have to go back on them for the results I am looking for, then so be it. I drank for several years while taking prozac. I had a 300ZX and passed out at the wheel on my way to Xmas party, car flipped several times, went to hosp, didn't get DWI?, came out and drank again, until I just stopped one day..I know the drinking was a temp escape from my misery, my misery was the hopeless of this disease..but amazingly enough through sobriety I've found happiness, peace, friendships, yada, yada, yada... What is really wierd is that even though the disease is worse, my attitude is better about my life, my family, my work, my day to day with people I meet. **My own little reasoning as to why I have this dreaded ""thing"" is that it has humbled me which is probably what I needed badly. My job consist of helping patients for a hospital I contract with to get on medical coverage, either SSI/RSDI, medicaid, etc..I have seen trajedies galore, some too horrendous to mention..I found that I was able to be tender to these people in need and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE that is why I have this disease.... Thanks for all the help from this board..I will keep you posted on my progress or lack of,, ha
who knows...Sue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.