Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having stomach issues for almost a year now. My GP keeps saying stress. I am having an issue with mucous. Often I go to the toilet 3 times a day, sometimes not for a week and I continually fluctuate between the two. On a couple of occasions I have actually passed wind and liquid mucous has come out, or I sit on the toilet and liquid mucous comes out accompanied by rabbit pellet type bowel movements. Has anyone else experienced such extreme mucous? could a change in diet help? Im due to have an endoscopy at the end of the month ( was due earlier but had to be cancelled). Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYI"Some patients see gobs of mucous in the stool and become concerned. Mucous is a normal secretion of the bowel, although most of the time it cannot be seen. IBS patients sometimes produce large amounts of mucous, but this is not a serious problem."http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs03.htm"Excess mucus production, which often occurs in IBS, is not related to mucosal injury. Its cause is unclear but may be related to cholinergic hyperactivity."http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch008/ch00...l?qt=ibs&alt=sh

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have some mucous but the last couple episodes there is also blood has anyone else had this. (with diarhea) My Doctor says it is part of IBS. I have had IBS for over 30 years and up til now no blood.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Small amounts of bright blood are almost always hemaroids or other anal irriation.Since it is new, it is worth discussing it with the doc. If it was a lot, or looks like it is brownish like you bled higher up and it's been out of the veins awhile you need to get that checked out sooner rather than later.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,Thank you for answering my post! I did talk to my Dr about this. He said if it gets worse to go back. I will make an appointment and inform him of the second episode. The blood comes at the end of the diarhea, bright red just enough to scare me!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have ibs-d but at the moment I am not working and it seems to have settled down. I have to take tablets every day to help. At the moment it is harder ( sorry) but I always seem to have mucous in my movements everyday. Sometimes it is a little amount sometimes more. Today I noticed that my mucous was a light pink colour. Which I can't say that I have had before.?? any suggestions??

·
Registered
1 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pjbparrot:I have been having stomach issues for almost a year now. My GP keeps saying stress. I am having an issue with mucous. Often I go to the toilet 3 times a day, sometimes not for a week and I continually fluctuate between the two. On a couple of occasions I have actually passed wind and liquid mucous has come out, or I sit on the toilet and liquid mucous comes out accompanied by rabbit pellet type bowel movements. Has anyone else experienced such extreme mucous? could a change in diet help? Im due to have an endoscopy at the end of the month ( was due earlier but had to be cancelled). Thanks in advance for any help.
I have experienced this quite often. Another symptom I have is that my intestines "growl". I find that the following items cause the symptoms:BananasOnionsBell PeppersToo much beefBagels and some other bread productsTightening the belt too muchSitting down most of the day (desk job)I have found that exercise (especially cardiovascular) staves off the symptoms. If I exercise, I can have some of the above foods without much, if any, IBS. If I exercise 3 times a week (30 minutes cardiovascular, 30 minutes weight lifting), I tend not to have the symptoms at all. There are probably some foods which help to prevent the condition, but I really haven't noticed much. Ironically, beans (at least pinto beans) do no harm, but seem to be a food which I can tolerate quite well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.