Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow forumers. Once again I turn to you for some help:23-year old, non-diagnosed IBS'er here (although pretty sure I got IBS-D; doctor returns from vacation 19 July, so will book appointment then).I noticed today that my stool contained some lumps or bits of something which I believe may be dried up mucus (sorry for the nasty descriptions). I have yellow mucus in my stools at times when I have watery diarrhea, but today my stool was mushy (which it usually is in the morning) and I noticed these "bits of something". At first I thought it was something undigested but I can't recall eating anything that looks like that, but then I realized that this might be mucus or something. Has anyone else experienced something similar?Bits which vary in size from tiny to the size of my thumbnail; yellow color; semi-hard consistency (although I was able to mash it quite easily). Could this be dried up mucus? Can't find anything on google about it. What might this be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more likely to be undigested food of some kind. Even potatoes can go through undigested and 'solid' at times.
Interesting. The thing is that I had potatoes (lots!) the day before but normally they are digested very well so I abandoned that theory. Might be true but still unsure. Would it be unthinkable for mucus to obtain a more solid consistency for some odd reason?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was pretty hung up on watching my stool for a while, I have seen all sorts of things which honestly just sort of raise my anxiety. I read somewhere that if you don't see blood and you have IBS ignore the rest. Not sure if that's "great" advice, but there may be something to it. We have very weird bowel movements so they are bound to look interesting, the only thing that I have been told to watch for is blood. Also at your (and my) age we have less to worry about cancer-wise, just ulcers. I would just tell the doc and keep an eye for red/black (blood).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.