Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was told I had IBS about 6 months ago. I have also been having muscle aches and joint pain. Especially my legs, hamstrings, ankles etc. The aching seems to come and go, it feels like I have ran a marathon or been standing all day. It is just as bad when I wake up in the morning. Any ideas and what this is, or how to cure it. Is this related to IBS? Anyone else have the same aching feeling in there body? Thanks for you help.Brett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brett,I am having the same thing! Sucks but at least I find someone that is having the same thing happening.I am a 31 Year old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS over a year and a half ago.I have pains in my groin and upper theighs , both in the back and the front and sometimes in my nect and lower back. It seems as though the pains follow the issues that I am having with my stomach. Meaning the last time I had issues with my stomach, it lasted 8 months and the pains in the groin and other areas were there. Now once again I am having stomach issues and the pains in the groin and legs have reappeared...... Is anyone else having the same issues?You can email me directly at:TechnicalSupport###howtoregister.comThanks,Aaron

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey...me too. a few months ago while i was very ibs symptomatic, all my joints ached sooo badly. knees, hips, ankles. it scared me. i also got chills, but i think i created that cause i was so sore and upset. it was not a flu or anything like that. it came out of no where when i was sick with ibs symptoms. as i recall, it just went away. this has happened a couple times.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
BLW:One possibility, as these are common extra-intestinal (outside the intestine) symptoms generated by systemic proinflammatory mediator release, is a hypersensitivity to something in the diet. This is not synonymous with allergy, as they are different mechanisms and different clinical presentation, but may be comorbid (occur together in some people).The fact your have been, I assume, correctly diagnosed as suffering from diarrheic-predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome increases the possibility.Often the types of reactions that occur within the bowel structures themselves which elicit the intestinal symptoms are accompanied by other, systemic symptoms that can range from hot/cold flashes, chills, clamminess, dizziness, "fog brain", and headache to muscle and joint pain.There are so far known to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 various chemical mediators that are either stored within or synthesized by various types of tissue and circulating immunocyte classes, that should only be released as part of a coordinated response to pathogens. Some peoples bodies do this inadvertently in response to benign things such as a food componenet or chemical or colorong in some food. When this problem develops the best word coined so far to describe it is "loss of oral tolerance". Researchers and clinicians all the way back to 1956 have been looking at this problem qualitatively and treating it clinically with dietary modification. In recent years the newest technologies have made it possible to show that this does indeed occur (non-allergic reactions to dietary components which vary from person to person)and quantify it various ways.From a practical viewpoint, these are (2) books which can explain to you some of the problem(s) and origins which can be repsonsible for your symptoms, but not all, as they were written before some of the newest information using new kinds of invasive studies was found. Can also provide some instructions on how to monitor the diet in a properly structured manner to see if there are any obvious elements which can be isolatd and removed to help reduce all your symptoms.Again, assuming that you have had a proper workup which rules out other possibilities, whenever a person presents with symptoms of d-inclusive so called IBS, and extraintestinal symptoms like these, they can very often be shown to be related to the same mechanism and respond to the same lifetyle modification similarly.IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 "FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, Londonhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903[/URL]You may also want to visit this board where there are some other folks who also had extraintestinal symptoms accompanying their IBS symptoms, and you can share their experiences and ideas with them:IBS SELF HELP GROUP BB DIRECTORY PAGE http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi So in summary: _____________________________________"...it came out of no where when i was sick with ibs symptoms" _____________________________________only seems like no where. It just came from the release of the same chemicals that immune cells release that make you feel the same crappiness when you are coming down with or have some infection....which symptoms you get depends upon what type of reaction occurs involving which cells and the mediators released by or synthesized by those cells. This is why the symptoms vary as the type of cels involved witll determine what mediators come from them" and each mediator has different effects on certain body structures.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I just saw your post and I have suffered with the same problem for along time...When I would get flare up my legs would hurt so bad and they would hurt so deep down inside...I would lay there and tie a sock or something around my leg to get it from stopping to hurt..It didnt work and I would always rub them but it was like I could never get deep down far enough to get relief....They would hurt also when I didnt even have a flare up with IBS...My legs hasnt hurt since last fall...but taking control of my diet...Please check with your Doctor to rule out anything else that it may be
.....but I know how you feel...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I occasionally had stiffness in my neck and shoulders, but I never thought it could be IBS related. I have been taking Sam-e (the cvs version). I have been feeling a lot better.I started taking it for IBS because I read that... "It reacts with folic acid and Vitamin B12 to produce methyl groups which are required by various molecules in the body and in the production of dopomine and serotonin which are neurotransmitters and depression fighting brain chemicals." I know that serotonin plays a role in IBS and that anti depressants sometimes help. I wanted to opt for over the counter before a prescription.Sam-e is a natural mood lifter. In Europe it is available by perscription, In the US it is sold as a dietary supplement. http://www.mdsg.org/same.html and http://www.32343.com/samearticle.htm (which is an article taken from Newsweek magazine.I've been taking them for three weeks and notice an improvement in my mood and also my neck when I wake in the morning which was usually stiff. (Some brands sell one for mood, one for joint pain and one for liver health...the cvs is all in one, I think the other brands do this to make more money)Hope I was able to help.Kari

G

·
Wow...eeee,I've had all of these things you listed Mike and wondered the connection if any to IBS"hot/cold flashes, chills, clamminess, dizziness, "fog brain", and headache to muscle and joint pain". Particularly the stiffness and joint pain made no sense to me as I felt like I aged overnight. Was starting to worry about early arthritis but don't get the stiffness in the am which is common with r.arthritis. I will watch to see if the stiffness and joint pain happens at the same time as other IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
194 Posts
MikeWhat you write is very interesting.However based on my own limited knowledge, my favourite 'explanation'(if there is such a thing as a single 'explanation') for IBS/Fibromyalgia/CFS is an over activation of the autonomic nervous system, brought on by a combination of genetic and environmental/lifestyle/life events factors.ie. not necessarily based on dietary factors. What are your views on this?Ian

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have definately had aches and pains directly due to IBS. When the D is really bad my lower back and thighs and down my legs ache and I have a generally overall tired feeling. After I go and have D its like I did all this work and and my insides are spasing I have to rest till it all settles down. By that time it is the middle of the afternoon and I get hardly anything done. I am miserable.Twocups

G

·
Yes, Ian, I tend to agree with you on that.I think that diet's role may be exacerbation of the symptoms caused by other primary factors for many people and diet is one of the easiest things to adjust, whereas environment, lifestyle may be more challenging to alter in terms of healing/handling stress better.p.s. after posting this I realized you directed the question to Mike rather than open question.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It took about two weeks. This week I feel noticeably really good! I also take 1/2 tsp. of Perdiem and Probiotics. I think combined they all have been helping, but the Sam-e has made a huge difference between feeling a little better or feeling really good for me. I have had two instances where my stomach really hurt like it practically always did,but it went from being practically an all day thing to subsiding shortly after the pain came on. And as for the muscle aches it's funny because I used to call them growing pains, but at 27, I know I'm not still growing! I would kind of chalk them off to sleeping funny or overdoing my evening walks. I initially went on it because the thought of Prozac and side effects scared me. I have not had any side effects on Sam-e. I also ordered Zelmac from Mexico but haven't used it yet. I ordered it thinking maybe I'd give i a shot but when I actually got it I was scared. I hear people have D the first few days and with my schedule, I can't find the few days where I can not worry about having D. I figured after I am at my wits end (and I was close!) I'll cave in and use it, but haven't needed it thus far!I don't know if you read the article from Newsweek, but they talk about studies they've done on it. One benefit about Sam-e over prescriptions is that they said it does work much faster. Some anti-depressants take as long as 6 months to feel results. I take a multi-vitamin as well because from what I understand, Sam-e works with the B-vitamins (according to the article).Good Luck! This has been the closest thing I've found to a cure...
I just hope it lasts. I'll keep ya posted!Kari

·
Registered
693 Posts
For some reason every once in a while I get weird pains in my hands& feet,in between the fingers and toes & also the joints. When this happens I can count on having a bad flair up of D and also flu like symptoms. I have tried to figure out if there was a trigger but so far no luck. It just sort of comes and goes. I haven't had this in quite a while. Doctors don't have a clue either.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Another question. What is Sam-e? Is it a type of vitamin--I mean do you find it in the Vitamin Section of CVS Pharmacies? Also did you start taking the probiotics and perdiem at the same time. And what is the brand of the probiotics and perdiem. If you wish to e-mail me this information...that would be okay. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
All those people with pains in about 11 out of 18 of these specific points: http://www.fibromyalgia.com/tender_points.htm or pain generally in a lot of their joints or muscles... when accompanied by mental and physical fatigue which is not relieved by rest...should really go and see their doctors to rule out conditions such as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue SyndromeYou can find out more about Fibro & CFS at our forum for those conditions, here: http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...m&f=9&SUBMIT=Go

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
IAN: ____________________________________"However based on my own limited knowledge, my favourite 'explanation'(if there is such a thing as a single 'explanation') for IBS/Fibromyalgia/CFS..." ______________________________________Ah, now, as Susan Purry points out we are talking about a horse of another color when we start talking about FMS or CFS or IBS comorbidity with CFS and/or FMS.If you look at the symptoms originally described, which is what I was answering, we are not lloking at the symptom set associated with those conditions, but transient constitutional symptoms.So indeed, in the context of what you or Susan point out, thats another kettle of fish.In these cases, the hypersensitivity to chemicals or foods, remember, is a symptom genertaing mechanism...that does not automatically denote causal basis of a disease.For example, patients with asthma can react with bronchspasm to inhaling air deeply that is tood ry or too cold. This causes the aireays, which have been upregulated by mediator release from mast cells secondary to allergy, to constrict (resposne to mechanical stimuli). But we cannot suggest that this is the physioliogic basis for theor asthma (I know it is oversimplified but see my point)...In many conditions, the abnormal reaction to dietary components which results in mediator release and symptom generation is a casual basis for symptoms, not the disease...it may be a feature of the disease.In other cases, the abnormal immune response IS primary and IS the causal basis. The difficulty is that clinically folks confuse mechansism with cause....so in FMS for example in a subpoulation of those patients hypersensitivity reactions to foods or chemicals in foods exacerbate (worsen) the symptoms. So we can help reduce or eliminate that mechanism and thus that part of the problem but that does not mean that it is te casue of FMS, only a feature of the condition.But, in the symptoms described, I was not speaking of those problems only of the frequent occurrence of extraintestinal symptoms which can be provoked by mediator release regardless of whether it is mastc ell degranulation, lymphocytes, macrophages, even platelts releasing mediators into the plasma, which can occur episodically or chronically esp. in people who are diagnosed as IBS who have a diarrheic component to their symptoms.And you are right, in the sense that at this time research has suggested several possible etiolgies for the conditions you refer to but they are far from well understood and each has his pet theorum.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.