·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this SIBO that all is talking about??

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
What if you never ever had an infection in your digestive system? Does that rule you out as having bacterial overgrowth? I suggest that only a small number of IBS people began their problems after a bad infection. Most of us just develop symptoms in our teens or 20's.P.S. Spasms definitely are a basic IBS symptom.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's an interesting article - No doubt about that. I developed IBS when I was 17 (only minor back then), but I don't ever remember having food poisoning or anything like that to trigger it off. There must be two types of IBS, caused by infection of digestive system, and some other trigger yet to be found. My doctor definately thinks mine is stress related, as I've had very few problems since starting on anti depressants. I hate iBS - So many different triggers, so many different things that help different people. I guess it's going to be hard to find something to treat all of us!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gi infections are pretty common.You mean you have never ever in your life had the "stomach flu" or food poisoning. I don't know that it has to be a "bad infection" just an "infection" (By Bad you mean?? Had to be on antibiotics, got tossed in the hospital....from what I gather it can be the run of the mill GI infections people have and get over by themselves without intervention in a few days)Wow, you are lucky. I usually get a bout of one or the other every few years. I didn't know there were people who never had the "stomach flu" ever in their life. I thought everyone got this fairly regularly. And if I remember high school and college, being out a couple of days with the "stomach flu" was pretty common, and those viruses can tear through a dorm pretty easily.In studies going over medical records (in England where the records are searchable like that) people who had a GI infection are 4-20X more likely to get IBS in the year follow up than people who did not have a GI infection.It actually seems to be a pretty common way to get IBS started off, not a rare way.It probably isn't everyone, and it doesn't seem every IBSer has the bacterial overgrowth thing also, even in Post Infectious IBS.K.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've never had a stomach flu and have only had diarrhea a few times in my life. either from eating left over food that I'd left out on the counter, from bad chicken or beef in a restaurant or drinking sour milk. But nothing around the time I developed whatever I'm stuck with now, unless you can also count some kind of physical trauma to the intestine as a trigger. Actually I have an "iron cast stomach " which hardly ever gives me any problems, I just have screwed up intestines but without pain and cramping.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've only had stomach flu once, NEVER had food poisoning - That can be really bad! The stomach flu I had when I was 26, and by then I already had the IBS symptoms showing. I guess I must have been lucky in that sense, but my body sure made up for it with this damn IBS!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry if I'm shifting off-topic slightly, but I have a question about the drugs used to treat SIBO. I took the breath tests mentioned in the article earlier this year as part of a research study at UNC. The results showed that I did have SIBO. My primary care physician put me on Cipro for two weeks, but that didn't have any lasting effect on my symptoms. Recently I went to my GI with my breath test results and he gave me a prescription for Rifaximin (brand name Xifaxan, also mentioned in the article). I started taking it yesterday. So far the side effects have been pretty unpleasant - headaches, diarrhea, extreme urgency, and slight nausea.I'm hoping this is just a short-term adjustment by my body to the drug.I'm going to check in with my GI, but I wondered if anybody else here has taken this stuff and if you had a similar experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well it is not a drug you take long term, and many antibiotics cause diarrhea, even in normal people.Cipro is kinda known for the diarrhea thing, when they were giving it to people during the anthrax scare and they had to take it for what two months, a lot of people dropped out because they would rather have anthrax than stay on the Cipro.K.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Kath. That's helpful. Oddly the Cipro did not give me any diarrhea at all. But with this Xifaxan, I'm a little scared to leave the house - at least today. Go figure. In any case, if it ends up improving my symptoms, then it will have been a very small price to pay.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
T.P.You've got head aches?Is it overwhelming?I hate drug in general.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
T.P.I have been on antibiotic for a sinusitis and the only side effect was D.Whithin a week on it i was able to eat anything!!!When i stopped it,the C came back.
The name of the antibiotic was Apo-Cefuroxime.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Yes i had no head aches whatsoever.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, I wouldn't say the headaches are overwhelming from a pain standpoint, but just strong enough and persistent enough to prevent me from doing anything that might require me to move or really concentrate. Combined with the mild nausea, it kind of feels like a really bad hangover.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Wow it sucks!!!I'm interested to learn about your update.
Head aches is one of those things i hate!Surprisly,the antibiotic i took has temporary cured my permanent head aches caused by IBS-C.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the stomach flu a few times as a little boy, but I always thought of stomach flu as a child's ailment, with vomiting. I thought the article was referring to more serious ailments, like a friend of mine who got food poisoning and had "D" for 8 months afterwards before his system finally cleared out and became normal again. I didn't think having stomach flu when I was 8 years old would curse me to having IBS the rest of my life.

·
Registered
596 Posts
flux,So I take it that the drug mentioned in this article that "increases contractions in the small intestine" is Zelnorm, then? And did Dr. Pimentel happen to mention just how critical he thought adding Zelnorm was? I tested positive for SIBO, took Xifaxan, but experienced absolutely no improvement. Any response is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
JJ,i know you have IBS-D.I do not know if the Pimentel protocol target D-sers.See my post USA doctors near the Quebec.There is Neomycin who has been study.In which states are you?Just in case i would be desesperate to be treated in USA.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.