Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past 5 years I have read many posts on this board, but have never posted as I really didn't have anything to offer in the way of help.However, 7 months ago I researched EVERY single link on the web, as I was so sick of having IBS!What I stumbled upon has actually cured my IBS, for the past 6 months! I have a new life and I want to share with you in the hope that it will be effective for you.1. I take amino acids capsules (3-4 a day). The L-Glutamic Acid I read is very healing to the digestive track. I take the Bluebonnet brand from the health food store. (3 capsules=about 1200mg.of Glutamic acid.) I also bought L-Glutamine capsules, but have found the Amino Acid complex to be completely effective.2. I take Metamucil (not sugar free!) three times a day. I tried other fiber brands, but none work for me, except Metamucil.3. I take Caltrate 600 plus 2-3 times a day.4. I don't eat much rice or alot of potatoes.5. I don't eat too much in the way of fatty foods.6. I take digestive enzymes, especially in the mornings.As of this date, I am completely free of IBS-D, which practically ruined my life. I have regained the 20 pounds I had lost. (I was down to 103 when I became desperate and started dilligently searching for a cure).I had been on the IBS diet, where you eat rice til you can't stand the sight of it. My IBS was at its worst with this diet. I later learned people with IBS do not digest this complex starch well, nor potatoes.I have had NO D in 6 months, nor bloating, nor pain! I eat what I want, except not much wheat, as this is my trigger,but I can eat some. I couldn't let another day go by without letting you know that the formula above has CURED my IBS!!I hope and pray many of you will be helped and cured, as I have been. Please contact me if I can be of help to you.God Bless you all, and I pray for your cure.Barbara

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Thanks for posting. I am able to keep good control with just the calcium carbonate 600 mg 3 times a day with food. I am glad you found what works for you.Linda

·
Registered
1 Posts
I must say that I am so excited to have found this support group! I will definitely try those supplements and see if they work for me! Thank you all for the ideas. I can't wait to get started! So tired of carrying Imodium around and having a panic attack if I run out of it. And the sudden urge to go, along with the uncontrollable feeling when it just makes up it's mind to come out! That is the worst for me!!! Thanks again!!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
LNAPE - thank you for your message!- it is soo good of you to take time out for us still struggling. I have just been out and bought some Calcia which is calcium carbonate with vit d and also a tiny amount of B2, B6, B12 and 14.0 mg of Iron. I hope this is correct - there isn't any mention of zinc or the other ingredients that you mentioned. There was only 2 boxes to choose from and the other didn't have any mention of carbonate. I hope this will potter me on until I can properly get some from the internet. It cost �7.00 for 90tablets!! i'm sure I can find much cheaper.Many thanks for your info - running jude x

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Runningjude,This should be good to start with to see if you can get some relief./ Start with 1/2 tablet with each of your 3 meals and see what happens. DO the 1/2 tablet for 3 days so your body can adjust to the calcium then make and adjustment up or down as needed.Linda

·
Registered
42 Posts
why calcium pills???? I've started taking Acidophilus,,, sopose to help the digestive track.Some mentioned haveing their gall balder removed.I did too,,,about 13yrs ago.Is their a contection between IBS and gall blader???Calcium pills that I have on hand are Calcium from Oyster shell with Vit D.

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Not so much IBS and gall bladder as many people who have their gall bladder removed have a tendancy to diarrhea from an excess of bile in the colon (more is released than is recycled).Calcium Carbonate (and I think Oyster Shell is Calcium Carbonate) is the Calcium people seem to find the best for diarrhea.LNAPE who is the main person to talk to about this had diarrhea after gall bladder removal that got much better when she needed to take Calcium for other reasons.K.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
sassymoon,It is called bile dumping syndrome not really IBS. Oyster shell may contain more lead than other forms so just get any store brand of calcium carbonate with vitamin D to get started use what you have first to see if it helps. Try to follow the above instructions and let me know if you are having any success or need help.Linda

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Try Any Regular Pharmacy or Discount store.Caltrate is a brand that works (and it has some with either a small amount of magnesium, and some with NONE).Tums and Rolaids have Calcium only Antacids as well.Most pharmacies and discount stores have a storebrand version of Caltrate or Tums, that is often quite a bit cheaper.What you are really looking for are the cheap calcium carbonate supplements, nothing fancy.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello to all,I forgot everyone doesn't have access to the same OTC products. Sorry.Caltrate is a brand name calcium as Linda wrote.(Thank you Linda!)I have taken other calcium supplements, but this one works just great for me. It really calms down my digestive track. It is about $8 US, and is available at nearly all drug stores (Eckerd's, Walgreen's).It contains Vid D.(200IU),Calcium carbonate 600mg.,Magnesium (only 40mg., and necessary for absorption)small amts. of Zinc,Copper & Manganese)I was taking this before I started on the Metamucil and Amino Acids, and was having only limited success. Once I added the Metamucil and Amino Acids...It was amazing!! This "formula" has completely changed my life and is perhaps the greatest blessing I could have prayed for.I turned 59 last month..IBS free!!!WOW. Never thought I would see the day.Just today, as I was leaving work, I thought.."I think I need to go to the bathroom," and decided, "Oh I'll just wait until I get home" (in 15 minutes!!). For the past ten years, I would have been doing good to make it down the stairs at work before having an accident.!So hope this works for many (all?) of you.Hugs and praying for your miracle!BarbaraP.S. I still don't drink soft drinks or coffee, but I really don't like either one, so I don't know the effect.But, I eat and drink EVERYTHING else that I want. A miracle!

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Magnesium has a tendancy to loosen up the stools.If you are taking Calcium to try to have less diarrhea usually you do not want to be taking something that might give you diarrhea at the same time.A lot of the Constipation Predominate IBSers use Magnesium to have more normal bowel movements.How sensitive you are will vary. You do need some in the diet for good health, but some who suffer with diarrhea with their IBS do not tolerated magnesium Supplements even at low doses.People who are GI normal can get diarrhea from magnesium containing antacids (Milk of Magnesia is both a laxative ANd and an antacide) and constipated from Calcium containing antacids (or supplements) that is why you find a lot of 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium in antacids and supplements as that ratio in most normal people cancels the effects out.K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.