Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's not a lot of point to this, I just need to vent.Two weeks ago the doctor prescribed me some anti-depressants, because I told him my IBS had made me suicidal. He asked me to come back today.I went in. He asked me if I was sleeping better. I said yes, but then that's never even been part of the problem. I said the pills weren't working yet, but that I didn't expect them to because they take a while to kick in. He asked me how much I had left, I said 2 weeks' worth. He said good and told me to come back around Christmas.Erm... it's 3 months until Christmas? I remain suicidal and my pills run out in 2 weeks. You're meant to come off them gradually anyway, there are some nasty side effects with just withdrawing.He did, however, say I could pick up a letter for Uni about my IBS on Thursday. So I'm going to try to see another doctor then. I don't really know how to approach it. It's going to be very difficult to explain things without saying some pretty nasty things about the other doctor.

·
Registered
160 Posts
quote:Originally posted by masterplan:There's not a lot of point to this, I just need to vent.Two weeks ago the doctor prescribed me some anti-depressants, because I told him my IBS had made me suicidal. He asked me to come back today.I went in. He asked me if I was sleeping better. I said yes, but then that's never even been part of the problem. I said the pills weren't working yet, but that I didn't expect them to because they take a while to kick in. He asked me how much I had left, I said 2 weeks' worth. He said good and told me to come back around Christmas.Erm... it's 3 months until Christmas? I remain suicidal and my pills run out in 2 weeks. You're meant to come off them gradually anyway, there are some nasty side effects with just withdrawing.He did, however, say I could pick up a letter for Uni about my IBS on Thursday. So I'm going to try to see another doctor then. I don't really know how to approach it. It's going to be very difficult to explain things without saying some pretty nasty things about the other doctor.
That is terrible, what is he thinking? I think you have to get another doctor. You need to tell them what the doctor said and that you need to be put on/stay on the medication and be monitored weekly until you stablize. My doctor either sees me or we are in contact by phone every few weeks. This is not something that can wait until Christmas. You have to fight for yourself to get the care you need and deserve. I know really nothing about the healthcare system in the UK, but I do know that IBS and the depression caused by it need continual medical care. I would also check what medication he has you on to be sure that it is not the reason you feel so bad. There are different antidepressants used for IBS. You can get the wrong one and it will make your symptoms worse or even cause you to become suicidal. It is nothing to play with or take lightly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is a late reply but anywho.Glad you can vent that is a good thing to do. And so sorry you got a garbage pile for a doctor. I have had my share, just leave and find a real doctor, it is your time and money don't let them take advantage of you. You are sick and need help and that is all you are asking for and paying for. I went through 2 doctors but you just have to tell them off, which I have on my way out the door. Sometimes these docs need to realize that they are dealing with living people who are paying them. I think most of us have been at our wits end and cannot believe this is our life, but persistences in life is what it is all about. I am just mean and stubborned and do my best to out wit my lousy colon. I know it thinks it can out smart me but I am the one that has the brain. I hope you can find laughter.Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im in the UK and have got a great GP, the problem here in England is that you have to be referred by your GP and then be under the care of a consultant.So anyway my point is that my consultant is hopeless! I have seen him once for a chat and he referred me for a colonoscopy which was extremly painful, the people carrying out the procedure said that they couldn't complete it because of some loops I have in the large intestine. This was a month ago and I have heard nothing from my consultant!! I don't even know the biopsy results.So today I went back to my GP and she said in as many words that the NHS is so messed up for waiting times that she would recommend I go private which will cost just for the diagnostic tests up to £2000.I tried to get medical cover but they won't take on anyone who has had a history of cronic digestive problems! so pardon the pun but I'm pretty much up s**t creek!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ya know I've seen so many docs over the past few years I can't even count them. Some of them are good with some aspects and some are worthless. I'm 32 and have been suicidal again recently. My doc knows I have a long history of IBS and depression. I saw him yesterday and he asks me "so why are we seeing you today"?. "Well doc, I've been having thoughts of killing myself recently". Then he says "why"? What an answer! Then I tell him about some other issues I've been having with sexual function and urinating problems and he says "welcome to aging"! Sometimes they just don't seem to have a clue. Take care.Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.