Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He did finally agree to do a stool sample, but when he asked what I wanted to do about the Remeron, I told him that if my stomach problems would get resolved, then I don't think I need to be on it anymore. And his response was, "Can I hold you to that? You're not going to come up with some other symptom are you?"I was so mad! This is not all in my head!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
PDP...Get another doctor Tomorrow!!! Jeez..some "M.D's" really need their bedside manner classes again. (If they ever had any to begin with)Luckily, I left my doctor before I started with the majority of my problems last year. (IBS related symptoms anyway)He would refuse to listen to anything I said about what I thought my illness or what type of meds I needed, one time he actually cussed and said "Hormones don't have a F**KING thing to do with headaches". Thank goodness my doctor now is very sympathetic, realizes that I hate being there, and is very open minded when I suggest something.

·
Registered
86 Posts
PDP...Get another doctor Tomorrow!!! Jeez..some "M.D's" really need their bedside manner classes again. (If they ever had any to begin with)Luckily, I left my doctor before I started with the majority of my problems last year. (IBS related symptoms anyway)He would refuse to listen to anything I said about what I thought my illness or what type of meds I needed, one time he actually cussed and said "Hormones don't have a F**KING thing to do with headaches". Thank goodness my doctor now is very sympathetic, realizes that I hate being there, and is very open minded when I suggest something.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yup, gotta shop around. First time I got a migraine I went to the doctor since it freaked me out. He said, nope couldn't bea migraine since I'd never had one before. When I had another a few months later, I went to my new doctor - he scatched his head about the other doc and said, no it was a classic migraine. Once had another doctor tell me that yeast infections caused by antibiotics was just a myth. Yeah, right.You know your body and you know what it is doing. Find a new doctor - obviously he can't help and he's probably frustrated by that and making snide remarks because of it.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yup, gotta shop around. First time I got a migraine I went to the doctor since it freaked me out. He said, nope couldn't bea migraine since I'd never had one before. When I had another a few months later, I went to my new doctor - he scatched his head about the other doc and said, no it was a classic migraine. Once had another doctor tell me that yeast infections caused by antibiotics was just a myth. Yeah, right.You know your body and you know what it is doing. Find a new doctor - obviously he can't help and he's probably frustrated by that and making snide remarks because of it.nancy

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You know your body better than any arrogant doctor, who only sees you for 2 minutes. This one is a jerk. I'd find another one. I have been where you are and just thinking about it really makes my blood boil. Some doctors are definitely in the wrong business!!Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You know your body better than any arrogant doctor, who only sees you for 2 minutes. This one is a jerk. I'd find another one. I have been where you are and just thinking about it really makes my blood boil. Some doctors are definitely in the wrong business!!Stacey

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah well, tell him you are fairly certain that he is fired.BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah well, tell him you are fairly certain that he is fired.BQ

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't need a doctor with an attitude like that. I think it's so hard to find a dr that you really like and trust. I saw a GI dr several years ago who was basically sweet and kind but used to get noticeably frustrated with me. I was diagnosed with mild inflammation in my colon and after taking Azulfidine the inflammation went away but my symptoms didn't. She just didn't seem to get it that I had IBS too. I got tired of seeing her scratch her head in wonder so I stopped seeing her. I saw another dr in the practice and right away he told me I had a fissure that was causing my bleeding. I finally got that taken care of and the bleeding stopped, but of course the IBS didn't.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't need a doctor with an attitude like that. I think it's so hard to find a dr that you really like and trust. I saw a GI dr several years ago who was basically sweet and kind but used to get noticeably frustrated with me. I was diagnosed with mild inflammation in my colon and after taking Azulfidine the inflammation went away but my symptoms didn't. She just didn't seem to get it that I had IBS too. I got tired of seeing her scratch her head in wonder so I stopped seeing her. I saw another dr in the practice and right away he told me I had a fissure that was causing my bleeding. I finally got that taken care of and the bleeding stopped, but of course the IBS didn't.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
how maddening, pdb! you shouldn't have to hear things like that. good luck in your search. and, Christy, whew! what your former doc says was totally uncalled for.I think the doctors we see are often under enormous stress (I mean, I wouldn't want their jobs), and I can cut them a bit of slack at times. but, I'm sorry, some of them need to watch their tongues and their general manner - or get other jobs, even if they're lesser paying.yes, we know our bodies better than someone who pokes at or talks with us for 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
how maddening, pdb! you shouldn't have to hear things like that. good luck in your search. and, Christy, whew! what your former doc says was totally uncalled for.I think the doctors we see are often under enormous stress (I mean, I wouldn't want their jobs), and I can cut them a bit of slack at times. but, I'm sorry, some of them need to watch their tongues and their general manner - or get other jobs, even if they're lesser paying.yes, we know our bodies better than someone who pokes at or talks with us for 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have experienced similar reactions from the Medical Profession.
My PCP moved last fall and I had to pick another doc w/i the same medical group (another side affect of the new insurance programs). This guy needs to see a proctologist in order to find his head!!!! The gist of the exam was - his wife has had IBS for 20 years - so live w/it.
We just returned from a week's vacation in AZ and I was doubled over in pain every single day. BTW, pain is my only symptom - but believe me it is severe and has lasted for as long as 8 hours. The only way I get through it is to go to bed. Occasionally I will take a xanax before laying down and then when I wake up the pain is gone. This does cause me to wonder if it IS all in my head.
Also, 99% of the attacks occur when I'm eating in a restaurant - rarely when I eat at home. Am I nuts? I've made an appt to see my GI doc in the end of the month. I'm going to ask him if he thinks a phychiatrist would help. I don't know where to go next. Why must we be at the mercy of the medical profession?
JeMarie

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have experienced similar reactions from the Medical Profession.
My PCP moved last fall and I had to pick another doc w/i the same medical group (another side affect of the new insurance programs). This guy needs to see a proctologist in order to find his head!!!! The gist of the exam was - his wife has had IBS for 20 years - so live w/it.
We just returned from a week's vacation in AZ and I was doubled over in pain every single day. BTW, pain is my only symptom - but believe me it is severe and has lasted for as long as 8 hours. The only way I get through it is to go to bed. Occasionally I will take a xanax before laying down and then when I wake up the pain is gone. This does cause me to wonder if it IS all in my head.
Also, 99% of the attacks occur when I'm eating in a restaurant - rarely when I eat at home. Am I nuts? I've made an appt to see my GI doc in the end of the month. I'm going to ask him if he thinks a phychiatrist would help. I don't know where to go next. Why must we be at the mercy of the medical profession?
JeMarie

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually, I think what he was implying is that if the cause of my D is found and resolved, that I would make up some other problem so I could convince him to let me stay on Remeron. But I don't even *want* to be on Remeron anymore. The only reason I started it is because I thought it might help my D. It did at first, but not anymore. So there's no reason for me to stay on it.I would *love* to be symptom free AND medication free, but I don't think my doctor believes me. I get the impression he thinks I'm either making this all up or at the very least worrying over nothing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.