Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's going to take until Christmas before I get sorted out. Two weeks ago I had a sigmoidoscopy and a small polyp was removed. I went today to my own doctor to get the results. She has not been sent the biopsy result only a letter to say one was removed. She says if it had been anything serious, I would have heard by now! Apparently, I will probably have to wait another 3 months for the barium enema. This is just crazy to me, if they find more polyps then I would end up having a colonoscopy. Her answer to this was that most polyps are found in the sigmoid part of the colon. She also said a colonoscopy carries more risks than a sigmoidoscopy and barium enema.As far as me getting the c-diff that has her really puzzled and she cannot understand how I got it. Most cases are either caused through taking antibiotics or being in hospital - neither applied to me. A big "maybe" but, perhaps the worsening of my IBS symptoms have been c-diff for quite a while. I now have to do another stool sample and see if the c-diff has gone. She agrees with me that for some reason or another there must have been something wrong with my gut flora to get the c-diff. I'm beginning to wonder just how long it's going to take to get some answers......

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Peardrops, this can all be a long process, but it sounds like she is working with you and that's a good thing no?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Peardrops, this can all be a long process, but it sounds like she is working with you and that's a good thing no?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Eric, she is really good my own doctor. She listens and really cares. I think she is as frustrated as I am! I'll just have to be patient like a good many of us here have to be..... :love:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Eric, she is really good my own doctor. She listens and really cares. I think she is as frustrated as I am! I'll just have to be patient like a good many of us here have to be..... :love:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Peardrops,I had the barium enema thing, and it was truly the most painful and humiliating experience I have ever had. I would give birth again before I'd have another one of those! IF you can convince your doctor to skip that and go straight to the colonoscopy, you will be much happier!I will NEVER go through that again, EVER! The pain was horrible, and the enire experience was just so humiliating. And it really baffles me why they even do them, because with this disorder, they almost always end up doing a colonoscpoy anyway. Once that came back and I still had no DX, they sent me for the sig and colon, which was much easier because you are drugged, thank-you-very-much. I also had a polyp in my stomach that was removed and was nothing, so I hear you. Good luck-debbiepf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Peardrops,I had the barium enema thing, and it was truly the most painful and humiliating experience I have ever had. I would give birth again before I'd have another one of those! IF you can convince your doctor to skip that and go straight to the colonoscopy, you will be much happier!I will NEVER go through that again, EVER! The pain was horrible, and the enire experience was just so humiliating. And it really baffles me why they even do them, because with this disorder, they almost always end up doing a colonoscpoy anyway. Once that came back and I still had no DX, they sent me for the sig and colon, which was much easier because you are drugged, thank-you-very-much. I also had a polyp in my stomach that was removed and was nothing, so I hear you. Good luck-debbiepf

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've even asked the hospital to reconsider, the answer is a definite "no". Over the years I've had two barium enemas, I didn't find it too bad. Yes, from what I can remember it was painful, especially when the put the air in, and trying to hold the stuff in well, words fail me. I got sedation for the sigmoid which was far better than the one I had years ago with no sedation. I'm sure if I was over in the states I'd be given a colonoscopy.....guess I'm stuck with the barium then?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've even asked the hospital to reconsider, the answer is a definite "no". Over the years I've had two barium enemas, I didn't find it too bad. Yes, from what I can remember it was painful, especially when the put the air in, and trying to hold the stuff in well, words fail me. I got sedation for the sigmoid which was far better than the one I had years ago with no sedation. I'm sure if I was over in the states I'd be given a colonoscopy.....guess I'm stuck with the barium then?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm no doctor but I believe polyps can be found all over the colon, I don't believe they're mostly just in the sigmoid. Of course there is always the risk (very small) of perforating your bowel with a colonoscopy, but I would think that the benefits (gold standard for examining the colon)outweigh the risks in most cases. Seems that you don't have much choice but to go along with her recomendations and if you have a good relationship with her that counts for alot. Sorry that things have to drag on so for you.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm no doctor but I believe polyps can be found all over the colon, I don't believe they're mostly just in the sigmoid. Of course there is always the risk (very small) of perforating your bowel with a colonoscopy, but I would think that the benefits (gold standard for examining the colon)outweigh the risks in most cases. Seems that you don't have much choice but to go along with her recomendations and if you have a good relationship with her that counts for alot. Sorry that things have to drag on so for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys as you all will know reading my posting I'm on the waiting list for a BE too I'm beginning to wonder if these drs really know what theyre doing, I also suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and you can imagine what it does to someones nerves.. I have no idea why theyre gonna do both tests.. so I really can feel for you all as I'm going through the same thing, I think my dr is great I gotta give her that, I started bleeding from you know what and she has got onto it real quick, (turned out tho that the bleeding is coming from piles) I just wish theyd do these tests under a general anesthetic, hands up who agree?? goodluck peardrops hope you get the best treatment you deserve..will keep you all informed on how I get on..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys as you all will know reading my posting I'm on the waiting list for a BE too I'm beginning to wonder if these drs really know what theyre doing, I also suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and you can imagine what it does to someones nerves.. I have no idea why theyre gonna do both tests.. so I really can feel for you all as I'm going through the same thing, I think my dr is great I gotta give her that, I started bleeding from you know what and she has got onto it real quick, (turned out tho that the bleeding is coming from piles) I just wish theyd do these tests under a general anesthetic, hands up who agree?? goodluck peardrops hope you get the best treatment you deserve..will keep you all informed on how I get on..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.