Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor has decided I must have Crohn's. I will be doing tests next year, but in the mean time I just have to wait. At first, I was told it was probably IBS (I've had problems for a few years now). My new doctor said my symptoms sound more like Crohn's and less like IBS? What's the difference? I've had some D (not much)alot of abdominal pain and spasming. Certain foods like potatoes, eggs, or red meat make things worse. Sounds like IBS to me! How can he say he thinks it's Crohns? What symptoms do I have that are more Crohns and less IBS? Can anyone provide me with any insight? In the meantime, I do like having "Crohn's" as opposed to and "Irritable Bowel". Sad as it is, it's less embarassing and seems to be taken a little more seriously!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Antonio - are you dropping weight rapidly, anemic, consistently running a low grade temp, passing blood, or waking up in the middle of the night with symptoms? Those would be the first things that might indicate Crohn's rather than IBS.My GI doc still thinks I may have mild Crohn's rather than IBS, but all of the tests come back negative. And you are right, people seem to understand Crohn's more than IBS, but I really hope they never find it with me. Did you post in the UC/Crohn's/IBD forum? You should be able to get some pretty good responses and info there.Best of luck!AnneMarie

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did post this in the other forum. I have been losing about 8 lbs a month, but I've been excericising too. No blood, thank God. My Dr. said bleeding is typical with UC, but not so much with Crohns.Thanks for the reply Anne Marie. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have been there....IBS or Crohn's? Ihave gone back and forth on that for years with my doctor. I suggest that first, you don't panic. Second, read articles on the internet. Third, track your symptoms. It may take time to get a correct DX. good luck to you!In the meantime, here's a great website:www.ccfa.org

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi, thought you might like to see what the National Institute for Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disorders had to say on the matter, so I pasted the symptoms of both here. This Institute has been invaluable for me. The website is www.niddk.nih.gov.The most common symptoms of Crohn's disease are abdominal pain, often in the lower right area, and diarrhea. Rectal bleeding, weight loss, and fever may also occur. Bleeding may be serious and persistent, leading to anemia. Children with Crohn's disease may suffer delayed development and stunted growth.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you are concerned about IBS, it is important to realize that normal bowel function varies from person to person. Normal bowel movements range from as many as three stools a day to as few as three a week. A normal movement is one that is formed but not hard, contains no blood, and is passed without cramps or pain. People with IBS, on the other hand, usually have crampy abdominal pain with painful constipation or diarrhea. In some people, constipation and diarrhea alternate. Sometimes people with IBS pass mucus with their bowel movements. Bleeding, fever, weight loss, and persistent severe pain are not symptoms of IBS but may indicate other problems. __-------------------------------------Hope some of that helps!Amy

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your replies. I have an appointment on 1/8 to see a GI Nurse Practitioner that my doc wants me to see. She'll probably schedule an endoscopy and or colonoscopy. Really the only way to know for sure! Happy Holidays everyone!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can't Chrohns be clearly diagnosed with a colonoscopy?--Can episodes of Chrohns come just every few months or is it a constant condition?--What meds are used for Chrohns vs IBS?????I have had 2 colonoscopies and no diagnosis!!---but I get SEVERE pain and just some D every few months--and the pain can last the entire day--I'm talking ACUTE pain.Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
quote: Can't Chrohns be clearly diagnosed with a colonoscopy? .
Depends. If it is all in the small intestine that can't be seen. Rest of response to that in #2
quote:Can episodes of Chrohns come just every few months or is it a constant condition?--
It tends to ebb and flow. Some people have near normal times and it is best to have the tests run during a flare up when you have bloody diarrhea just to be sure. If you have the colonoscopy during a period with no symptoms there may be nothing to see.
quote: --What meds are used for Chrohns vs IBS?????
Crohn's is an autoimmune disease and is treated with drugs that reduce the immune response.It is also treated with all the drugs IBS tends to be treated with for controlling specific symptons (Imodium, etc)
quote: I have had 2 colonoscopies and no diagnosis!!---but I get SEVERE pain and just some D every few months--and the pain can last the entire day--I'm talking ACUTE pain
The pain is not diagnostic. IBS can be as acutely painful as IBD's. Some IBSers are in a lot more daily pain than people with crohn's. It really varies. My pain with IBS was so bad that I couldn't walk more than a few yards without doubling over in pain every single day.Symptoms that indicate that it might be an IBD (crohn's/ulcerative colitis) vs IBS Blood in the stools. The ulcerated tissue tends to bleed. May be either very obvious or "occult" which is not visible, but easy to test for.Evidence of other autoimmune diseases, often joint, skin, or thyroid problems, but can be anything autoimmuneInexplicable weight loss. This is not I don't eat I lose weight. A friend of mine when his crohn's flared up in college basically ate like a sumo wrestler while looking like a feather-weight boxer. And still lost weight when eating thirds at each meal and a whole large pizza as a snack every night at bed time.Pain that wakes you up from a dead sleep. Pain in the middle of the night is much more common in IBD's than in IBS. Abnormal blood tests. Esp evidence of anemia and an elevated sedimentation rate (an indicater of inflamation in the body. Goes up when you have an infection or other immune response that causes inflammation).Sometimes colonoscopies are inconclusive because the prep by itself causes inflamation in some people. Were your results clearly normal (but they didn't say you have IBS) or were there some inconclusive abnormalities?K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.