Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I start? I am new to this forum, and I suffer with IBS. I am a male, and always suffered with IBS since I was young, but as I got older, it has gotten worse. I try to explain to my wife, but she doesn't understand. I was looking for support on the internet and found this site and wish to tell my story with IBS, and hope to get support. As far as I could remember (around 13 - 15 yrs old), I was always conscience of whether or not I had to go to the bathroom. I would always say to myself, "Ok I went to the bathroom, so I probably do not have to go anymore." Sometimes, after going, about ten minutes later, I have to go more. Its like I get false signals, or the feeling to go to the bathroom are mixed up. I would think I am done, but then in a short while go more. I rarely feel I completely emptied my bowels. Two times in my life I had accidents. Being a teenager, this was really embarrassing for me, and I feel from that time forward I really became even more nervous about my condition. As I got older (early twenties) I got married and gain responsibility on the job and in my life. I am more conscience about my condition. I do not go with someone in another car, for fear of needing to use the bathroom. I feel I do not have control. I do not go places where there might not be bathrooms readily available, I avoid long lines, I do not fly on airplanes, do not get in taxi cabs, I do not hike or bike ride, I have immodium on hand wherever I go. IBS controls my life. I am conscience of whether or not I have to use the bathroom. I think of "what if" scenarios. What if I get stuck in traffic? What if I am giving a presentation on the job, and I need to use the bathroom in the middle of it? This adds stress and anxiety, which in turn, aggravates my IBS. My IBS gives me stress and anxiety, and its a revolving problem. Sometimes, I can't plan ahead because I do not know how I will feel that day. For example, if I get invited to a future friendly gathering with friends, I get stressed because I do not know how I will feel that day.My IBS alternates between diarrhea and constipation. I will go diarrhea for awhile, then be constipated. Again, this messes me up because I can't plan ahead for certain things. I have definitely become more anxious as I gotten older because of my condition. I feel people do not understand. Everybody understands and shows compassion for the person who has a headache, because people has had one in thier lifetime, but with IBS no one understands. With IBS you need a toilet. My wife tells me to just eat more fiber. I tell her that its not as simple as just eating more fiber. Its psychological as well, at least in my case I believe. When I get cramps to go to the bathroom, I need to go immediately. I need to be near a toilet. If there is no toilet around, I get pannicky and this adds to the stress and fear of an accident. I can't wait for hours, I have to go immediately. Sometimes, whats interesting is when I finally do get to the toilet, I dont have to go. Its psychological. Normal people can wait to go to the bathroom for hours if they have too. Not me.Anyway, thats my story. I do not know what to do. I am going to try an excercise regimen to see if that helps. I read that the serotonin is a chemical that is connected with the gut and excercise stimulates creation of that chemical. Any support or comments will be appreciated!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi db,I know exactly how you feel. I have had many "accidents" in very inconvenient places as well as at home. I have found alot of very helpful and useful information on this website. I am feeling so much better than I was a few weeks ago. I still have hard time going out some days, but I know this is going to take some time to get under control. Try to find a way to relieve some of the stress and anxiety, because it can only make matters worse. Whatever you do, don't give up.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Hi db31701, welcome to the site and thank you for sharing your story. At last you have found somewhere where everybody here understands what you are going through.You will find on this site many ideas to help manage your condition. Most people manage to find something to help them. It is a question of trial and error as what works for some people may not work for others.I will give you 3 suggestions that you can think about trying for starters:-1) You mentioned serotonin. This can be dealt with in low doses of certain anti-depressants (ADs). ADs really do help a lot of people with IBS, not because they are depressed but because ADs act in such a way that they help calm the nerves of the gut. In addition they can calm anxiety which can trigger IBS. You need to find a good GI doctor and talk to him about ADs and other ways in which you can manage your condition.2) Gut directed hypnotherapy can really help with IBS. If you cannot afford or find a personal hypnotherapist you can try The IBS Audio 100 Program (Google it). This also has a CD in it to explain what living with IBS is like to friends and family.3) Try to find foods that trigger your condition. It is possible and maybe likely that you have foods that make your symptoms worse. You could try cutting out all gluten and dairy as a start.Good luck!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
think of "what if" scenarios. What if I get stuck in traffic? What if I am giving a presentation on the job, and I need to use the bathroom in the middle of it? This adds stress and anxiety, which in turn, aggravates my IBS. My IBS gives me stress and anxiety, and its a revolving problem. Sometimes, I can't plan ahead because I do not know how I will feel that day. For example, if I get invited to a future friendly gathering with friends, I get stressed because I do not know how I will feel that day.
IFirstly, welcome to the BB! Your comments above are very common for many IBS patients - in fact, these very comments are mentioned, almost as you state them, in the introduction to IBS in the IBS Audio Program that idkwia suggests. There is hope for the very symptoms you mention. IBS has a strong brain-gut cycle - just thinking about being somewhere can start the symptoms - it is an awful way to live, to be sure.Take a peek at my journey link below if you wish - do make sure that you have been diagnosed by a doctor as having IBS. Also, certain foods do not cause IBS, but just may aggravate the symptoms - everyone is different with food triggers, diets, etc.Feel free to ask any questions - we are all here to help. All the best to you ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.