Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GI prescribed Levbid, the generic is Hyoscyamine 0.375mg. One tablet twice a day. The hand out sheet I received says Hyoscyamine is used to treat a variety of stomach & intestinal tract disorders such as diarrhea, ibs. Has anyone heard of or tried this?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Yep..Levbid is the time released version of Levsin.It is an antispasmodic.When I used to have bad IBS this helped, esp since I was a symptom all day long type.K.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've taken Levsin or, more recently, Levbid, for about 20 years. Certainly will not, by itself, control my D, but it does help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used levobid, but it made me quite drowsy and I was afraid of driving with it. I started using pancreatic enzymes 3 years ago for my "trigger food meals" with good success. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used to use this. I was taking like 4-8 pills as needed. However, it made my eyes VERY blurry and a little sleepy, and didn't help all that much. It did nothing for diahreah, but did help to control the pain moderately. This is the only drug (other than the wonder drug Lotronex
of course) that has done even a little to help my IBS! And it is cheap!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was on Levbid until I went in for a colonoscapy Friday. Had to drink a Fleet Thursday night & Friday morning. Dealing with the diarrhea from the laxative was no problem. I am still having diarrhea and back on the Levbid Saturday. My GI found nothing, took a biopsy. He agrees it is anxiety. I was on Paxil 37.5mg & am trying to get off with doctors help. Down to 12.5 every other day. I think I would rather have diarrhea than the side effects from Paxil. I don't want to get dependant on drugs, but with IBS-D I think you have to rely on something!!!
YUCK. I am glad I am not the only one. You would think with so many who have this, they would make it a priority for a cure, or better medication. I asked my GI about lotronex - he said you have to sign your life away to get on it. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh how do you get pictures under your login name that move? They are so cute!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
HiI'm a long time IBS D sufferer...tried many, many drugs. However, since I have been on anti-anxiety meds for almost 30 years along with all the other stuff they've tried.... any doctor I went to was not inclined to try the anti-depressant route until last year.I was on paxil for about two weeks and it didn't help my mood, my diarrhea, and made me feel just wierd is the best way I can describe it.I'm back to immodium, tranxene (anti-anxiety), calcium, and a multi vitamin. SighJeanne

·
Registered
67 Posts
You don't have to sign your life away to get Lotronex, you just have to understand the risks and sign a statement saying so! you read a risk statement and say that you acconoledge that the drug may not be safe, but that you and your doctor agree to take the risk. In order to get it covered by your insurance is another story. I basically had to try and fail at every drug covered normally before my HMO would pick up the tab.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i did not have any luck with hycosamine... some people swear there is a difference between generic and name brand - i don't - i go cheap!i took the same dose, and did not find any relief from spasms or D. hope it works with you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts