Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading your messages for the last couple of days and learned so much already. I am not an IBS sufferer (thank God!!)but I have a good friend who has been having terrible problems for the last three years. I was surprised to learn that vegetables and cereal might actually trigger attacks and that meat might actually be helpful! Is this true for the most part? Sounds like taking Caltrate is the one thing that seems to work for a lot of people, I will certainly pass that information on to my friend. I hope you don't mind if I ask questions once in a while, my friend has no computer and I'm excited that I found this place where I might find help for him. My heart goes out to all of you. What a terrible affliction to have and yet I see good spirits, lots of support and great info.Thanks for any advice!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the bulletin board. I'm sure a lot of a wish we had such an understanding and helpfull friend as you. Your friend is very lucky.Feel free to ask away on any questions you or your friend have.Christine
Smile, It makes people wonder what you have been up to!!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Welcome Maria. You are a good friend!! You'll have to remember while reading these posts, that everyone's triggers may be different. Different symptoms, and even different reasons for having them, may make the management different.I tolerate whole grains and vegetables very well, but white sugars, flours, and fermented/aged foods are a curse for me. Citric acid is a common irritant for those with IBS. One hint is if someone experiences symptoms after eating tomato products. Coffee and alcohol are usually not tolerated well by those with IBS either. A high fat diet may not be the best for someone who may have gallbladder problems, or an inability to digest fats. Sometimes doing an elimination diet and doing a food diary may be helpful. Caltrate seems to work with many of those who have looser stools. Those that are constipated may find a magnesium supplement more helpful. Fiber seems to be helpful for most people with D or C.. If symptoms are due to an bacteria/parasites that your body is unable to tolerate, treatment for those infections might be necessary.Good luck to you and your friend in finding something that works!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.