Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello allI just wanted to thank you for a great forum which helped me through my IBS last year. I've now been free of IBS symptoms for 7 months and wanted to share with you what helped me and also what I believed caused it in the first place.I have tried exclusion diets, pro-biotics, anti candida supplements and many other supplements to little or no effect. In the end I believe three main things helped me:1) Seeing a Gastroenterologist who gave me a diagnosis of IBS, thereby alleviating my worries of 'something more serious', symptoms improved.2) This Gastroenterologist also prescribed peppermint oil (enteric coated) and mebeverine, which I took in relatively large quantities (within prescribed amount).3) Reducing but not eliminating milk from my diet.I believe the cause or trigger for me was almost certainly Ibruprofen. The timing of my IBS problems with my consumption of Ibuprofen is too much of a coincidence to ignore and I have tried other suspected 'triggers' and they had no effect.While I am sure many of you will have tried the above with no success, maybe this will help just one person. I hope so, good luck and thanks again for a great forum.I would be delighted to answer any questions relating to my success in beating IBS.NIBS

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also suspect Ibuprofen played a role in triggering my IBS -it began after a big night out when I took some to alleviate sore legs from dancing on hard floors. Have you tried taking it since you got IBS and found that it exacerbated the problem? I haven't touched any since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi JillyI have avoided Ibuprofen at all costs and have been OK. Looking back I can link Ibuprofen as a trigger for less serious flare ups in previous years. The usual sequence was; get a sore throat, take paracetemol, still got sore throat so take Ibuprofen. Sore throat would eventually clear but I'd then be left with IBS symptoms.All the best

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi idkwiaI think his name was Dr Fortun. He explained to me how IBS works, based on 3 principles; an initial infection (I think he said campylobacter), serotonin (or lack of), and stress. I'm not too sure if I've remembered that right but it made sense at the time.NIBS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.