Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D, D, D,!I have had D for like 2 years now! Even when my symptoms (Cramps, noises, sloshing, gas attacks) subside I still have D. Is it normal for an IBS sufferer to have D for really long periods of time?My BM is either broken, loose, smooshy, or liquid. I rarely ever have a normal bm. Can an IBS suffferer have these symptoms for very long periods of time or should I be scared its something serious?Nervous, confused, lost, and desperate!Thanks

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had it for 10 years, every day; so yes, I think it is normal, or I wasn't.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Stress doesn't cause IBS. It may trigger symptoms in some people.1 in 5 people have IBS so there really isn't some type you have to be. With that many people it effects just about everyone. Really it isn't just really unhealthy stress puppies that get IBS. You see a lot of people here with very healthy lifestyles that get IBS. Honest.Lifestyle does not cause IBS. No matter what some people say. Eating all healthy and doing only the right things will not protect you either.I never smoked, have only one drink when I do drink, do have some stress, but not much when I got the GI infection that triggered it.K.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
My Father had an Alka-Selzer after almost every dinner. We grew up in the 50s, post-Depression post-WW2, meat and potatoes and gravy and lots of fatty desserts. Rebellious in the 60s, I smoked and drank (too much) as soon as it was legal. I worked a number of low paying jobs; once I had kids, the stress of trying to afford what I thought a family deserved was enormous. All of this contributed. So I suppose I fit the "deserved what he got" profile; but really, it only matters how you got here if it gives you somewhere to start on finding your way out. Missing that piece, there are lots of different approaches that have been successful in treating D. The sooner you begin working your way through them, the sooner you will be able to get on, again, with your healthy life.(Now, how did they get my picture in the dictionary?)Mark

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's normal for me to be 'not normal'. I alternate, so on the rare occasion I do have a fairly normal b.m. I find it weird. So, normal for me is not necessarily normal. If you can understand all that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have all helped shed life on this.The thing that scares me is what seperates what we are going through from a serious disease such as colon cancer?I mean how does one know for sure that something serious is not going on?My four doctors who have examined me all say its 100% classic IBS IT has been with me since Fall 2003 how do I assure myself that it is for sure IBS.The thought of having a Camera stuck up my back side isn't so welcoming. But if that is what I have to do that is what I will do to be sure.I have those colon test pads and they reveal no blood so I guess that is a good thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Try not to worry so much, Snooks. Many (if not MOST) of us are experiencing the same symptoms you are - and I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that their IBS turned out to be cancer or any other potentially life-threatening illness. It's hard to imagine that all of these miserable symptoms are the result of a 'functional' disorder and not a 'disease.'I'm really inclined to believe the current theory that IBS is connected to intestinal bacteria inbalance/overgrowth - whatever. Too many of us developed IBS following a nasty event such as food poisoning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had IBSD for 3 years now and dont remember the last "normal" BM that I had. Sometimes it starts normal but doesn't last the whole BM. I have had a sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, Gastroscopy, Capsule Endoscopy and a Double Balloon Enteroscopy, as well as a colposcopy and a laparoscopy, all of which showed nothing out of the ordinary. This upset me a lot when I found out, and still does, but its reassuring to know that there isn't any cancer, crohns, UC...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone taken the Lotronex? Or any other medication that helps.? I am at my wits end. I am getting to the point where I can't even eat anything without it causing me D. I usually take Lomitol before I go somewhere, but it doesn't always help either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.