Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted on here in quite some time but I just wanted to say that I have come a long way and am feeling a whole lot better now a days. I used to drink and party a lot like any young person try to for the most part. Then the digestive problems I had been experiencing for years were gettting worse and worse and I believe some negative subconcious patterns developed around that whole thing as well. Anyways so I started out first with eleminating mostly sugars from my diet like high fructose corn syrup, lactose, sugar alcohols, fast food, processed foods(basically all the popular foods like doritos, almost anything carried in a conveniece store etc just for some examples), pop, and whatever else bothered me. I was down to very little to choose from but developed a diet that I stuck to day in and day out of foods I could handle and as time went on I have been able to add more and more back in. Lactaid milk with Life Cereal is a good breakfast, then an egg sandwhich on bagels makes a good lunch and I vary my dinners with whatever I feel like that sits okay with me, mostly Subway and stuf like that. I also started out taking probiotics for about a year but in all honesty they made me feel like my immune system was attacking me all day long, they may have been benficial as well though. I then got off them and took digestive enzymes with every meal for about 6 months and then got off those, I was very low mentally and got to the point where I was almost obsesive with my digestive issues. I decided to seek some couseling which I got for free at a community college and then moved over to a psychologist I pay to see every week. I also had worked something into my schedule that is very important as well and that was training my body to go to bed at the same time every night (no food 2 hrs before bed) and then getting up after only 7 hrs of sleep(I found that although its tough to get up then and I want 9 hrs, 7 has helped my digestive system alot too). I get up in the morning and give myself an hour ON MY FEET the whole time and I also put some lemon juice in some hot water that helps. This got my bowels on a schedule that has helped immensly as well. Another highly helpful thing was learning Progressive muscle relaxation as I tend to get tense extremley easily without even knowing it and also learning diphramic breathing. A relaxed body is a big help especially around the mid section which gets tense on me very easily and all the time. I then was left with the subconcious part that I am still working on but it has improved alot. I highly recommend a book called "What to Say When you Talk to Yourself" It deals with reprogramming your subconcious so it isnt negative (and believe me even if you dont realize it your subconcious can be negative in almost everything you do and it has a HUGE impact on your whole body). Finally one thing I just discovered the other day is that Coffee helps my stomach and digestion out A LOT. But I MUST sip the coffee very slowly through the day, it usually takes me about 5-7 hours to finish 12oz of coffee. Also Antihistamines are very helpful since I have sinus issues and when I have mucus draining down my throat my digestive system is way more noticeably upset and disturbed. I rotate between a half pill of regular Benedryl every couple hours and then a few weeks later when it feels like my body is getting used to it I switch to Chlorpheniramine maleate which you can buy by itself from W*lm*art, Equ*te is the brand. I now eat a ton of fruit as well, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries, oranges, bananas, every day which help me feel energized and help me to have a perfect bowel movement every morning. Once in a while my digestive system just feels irritated for a few days and I take some pepto Bismol when needed and Immodium if I have a meeting to go to(This is still my hardest thing to do as I am very self concious about the noise my stomach can make, especially when I start getting uncomfortable like in a meeting, but I am working on this as well and already improving slowly). Well thats most everything I can think of, I hate to say this but I stopped going to this site because I was taking in too much of the negativity from other peoples hard times so I found it made me more discouraged but I am back to post this to offer some help and hope for others in reading this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts