Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS isn't affected at all by what I eat. My D comes and goes but not according to what I eat. Anyone else notice this? I eat whatever I want. If I am having a bout of D then I have it constantly for days or weeks at a time. I even go a couple months at a time with no D at all and would classify my health as perfectly "normal" during that time. Can anyone relate?

G

·
Sher,I can find absolutley no connection between food and the IBS-D I have either. However, I don't have the periods of remission that you mentioned.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Sher:I don't usually get IBS D, but I notice that if I eat extremely fatty food I will get D. Too much coffee will do it also. I've noticed that if I eat leeks or fennel they tend to cramp me, but since I love both of them I eat them anyway!
JeanG

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine isn't food related, either. There are very few, if any, food I can point to and say "oh, that will always set off my IBS". Even the GI doc I saw told me to forget about trying an elimination diet, saying "it will make you crazy trying to figure out what you can and can't eat, because it will change all the time". Since Lotronex, it's not much of an issue, but before I was taking it, I'd be able to eat spicy Szechuan food with no problem one day, then cheese and crackers would set me off on another day.Argh.Colleen

G

·
Good topic. Newbies to this board are always given the advice to find their "triggers". That always made think that I must not be very perceptive, seeing as I've had this condition for 15 years. The only things I have found that may make mine a little worse are beans, being such gas makers and corn, which goes through me whole. I don't see these as true triggers. I almost wish I was limited in my diet, maybe I'd lose weight. ------------------SueTrying to live a "normal life"!

·
Registered
880 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that while one food by itself usually doesn't bother me, eating that same food again the next day or a couple days later might. For example, I can eat tomatoes. But if I have spaghetti sauce one day and then have something else with tomatoes two days later, that could give me D. Same with corn and some other things. Because of this, I try to eat as much of a variety of foods as I can. But, like you, once I get D it can continue for days no matter what I eat; during those days, water can set me off!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Its not just about quit eating some stuff, its about eating the right stuff to. When did you last eat something that taste bitter?? I can bet, that was long ago. Try black radish. It will stimulate the liver and the pancreas and its a good fibre and a good nutrition too. And cut the fat and the carbohydrates.take care/Maceo

G

·
I can't find any trigger foods either. Although I've had IBS for about 5 yrs. I've never had the pain people refer to on the board. At one time I couldn't leave my home for fear of an accident. After findingthe BB, Eric, and MIke, I have a mild case.The things that have helped me the most are Caltrate Plus(Thanks to LNAPE)and Mike's Tapes. Also reading information the Eric sends. I spent a lot of money looking for an answer, medical doctors, acupuncture, chiropractor, holistic treatment, etc. The BB is the best healer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts