Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi all,I realize no doctor is more of an expert than most of the folks on these boards, so I thought I would ask here...My IBS-D went away during my pregnancy - completely. I could eat anything I wanted!Now, 3 months after my c-section, my IBS-D pain and other symptoms have returned. Can anyone explain this?I would love to know how it went away and how I can replicate it safely (obviously without being pregnant again!)I have considered that I have intestinal endometriosis... especially since the pain worsens during my period (significantly), though it is all through the month.Anyone else experience relief of symptoms during pregnancy and figure out why?Thanks so much

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
My IBS-D went away during my pregnancy - completely. I could eat anything I wanted!
Yup that happened to me too for my 1st pregnancy.So did this..
Now, 3 months after my c-section, my IBS-D pain and other symptoms have returned.
only it wasn't quite as long as 3 months for me.For some IBS'ers there is a relationship between their hormones and their symptoms.This is why we thumbtacked this: http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=96265 to the top of our Women's Forum here.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
That is a common experience, but no good way to replicate it.Female hormones do interact with the GI tract and that is about the best guess anyone has. The hormones are different and more constant (I think) during pregnancy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Progesterone is the great relaxer so the elevated levels during pregnancy may be enough to get everything to calm down.I also get significantly worse pain during my period but only during the bloated early part so I think it is simply the extra pressure down there causing more pain than normal so I don't think that it's endometriosis. A lot of people have found their IBS to be endo instead, but I believe that a laproscope is the only way to find out for sure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I find that my IBS symptoms get worse around my time of the month, so there definitely is a hormones relation for me. You might find some relief from birth control pills, though you might have to try a few to figure out what works best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My ibsd went away when I was pregnant also........many years ago now. I've often wondered the same thing.why? And how can you trick your body into thinking its pregnant so you can be ibs free !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts