Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and this is my first post. I am a 29 year old married female with IBS D type and awful upper adominal pain. Pardon me if I am asking something that everyone else here knows. I tried finding archives on the subject but was not able to find out... WHY does the caltrate work? I am an IBS D type with chronic upper adominal pain and I found this website last Thursday. Got Fields of Nature Calcium 600 w/vitamin D and did half a tab w/each meal Fri, Sat, and today and so far no D and I've had it every day for as long as I can remember. This is a miracle for me! I would just love to know why this works though! I am very much into the medical aspect of getting to know my body and this is such a breakthrough. My doctor was about to prescribe Lotronex to me last week until I asked her if it was safe for nursing mothers and she said it was so new that she couldn't say. My daughter's pediatrician would not recommend I use it and so until she weans I am going to rely on just the calcium and D.HOWEVER...the heartburn over the past 3 days has been AWFUL! I hardly ever have heartburn so it must be from the vitamin. Has anyone else had this? What do you do? Thanks for any help anyone can give on the questions I've posed.Kimmy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kimmy,I'm from Brazil, I'm also new to this forum, and I'm also 29 married with IBS D. I've never taken any Vitamin D, so I ca't answer your question. Right now I'm taking Colofac, which also gives me heartburn and no D.I would like you to ask you something. You've mentioned you have a child. When you got pregnant, what kind of drugs did you take for IBS? I'm planning in getting pregnant but I'm afraid of the symptoms.Claudia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
claudia - i was one of the lucky ones that while i was pregnant my symptoms went away. i have heard they can get better or worse. there is no set thing that happens. typical IBS.In fact for the first time since my gall bladder removal in 1990 i did not have the D. I was very normal and I always contributed it to the prenatal vitamin thinking the iron binded me but it was just not so because the week after my daughter was born my symptoms got worse than ever and I was still on the prenatal vitamin due to nursing her.I wish you the best with your pregnancy and hope you were as lucky as me during the pregnancy to be symptom free from IBS.Kim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
claudia, i forgot to mention i did not take anything in the way of meds during the pregnancy. though i have had the IBS for as long as i can remember it is not until now that a doctor is actually diagnosing me with it and believing I am in pain and discomfort. I am not familiar with the drug you use but please choose something that is safe for your baby during your pregnancy :- o

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Kimmifier,Welcome to the board and you fit perfectly with the symptoms you are having. First having your gall bladder removed it a real cause for the diarrhea attacks. I had them since having mine removed in 1976.Next when you were pregnant you were probably taking extrat calcium which could be the reason you did not suffer then.Now taking the calcium is helping the diarrhea but giving you indigestion. This is what usually happens. I put up with the indigestion just to get rid of the diarrhea attacks. There is hope though the indigestion does go away as you body adjust to the added calcium.The way it works if when you take calcium carbonate about 40% of the dose gets to the bones and the rest gets in the intestines and soaks up excess bile which you have because you no longer have the gall bladder to store it until it is needed to digest your food. It binds with the bile and helps to give a more solid BM which you seem to be having now on the calcium.You should take the calcium with food this helps control the indigestion and you must take it on a regular basis to keep the diarrhea away. If you stop the calcium it will come right back. I must take 3 a day to remain diarrhea free but it has worked since July 1998 for me.If you have more questions please feel free to email me.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
218 Posts
Linda,I don't see Kimmifer mentioning getting her gall bladder removed.Can you answer the question on how Caltrate works if you still have all your organs?Thanks

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Proud Canadian,It still works the same way because diarrhea is usually cause by too much fluid in the intestinal track and the calcium carbonate helps soak this up. Bile is something we all have and even if you have your gall bladder who knows if it is always functioning properly and the rate of bile you have released when you eat.Linda

·
Registered
598 Posts
Linda is correct, other people in the health professions on this board have said that the calcium is a bile binder. Some other bile binders are niacin (see the book on the Cholesterol Cure), cholestyramine, colestid, or questran. The last three require a prescription.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts