Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone.. I'm new to this forum. First off, I just want to tell you all - I FEEL YOUR PAIN. IBS sucks. It's totally taken over my life and I'm completely sick of it.. I just want to be normal again..Here is a summary of what I'm dealing with.. I haven't really read or heard from anyone who has something just like me, and I'm at a loss right now.. don't know how to help myself. Basically, here's how it goes: I have an urge to go after every meal I eat, which is totally annoying as I'm sure most of you know.. I was never this way before. After I eat breakfast in the morning, I usually always have to go pretty badly and am able to go easily.. AT FIRST. After I have my first initial bowel movement, I have to keep going.. like I'll just sit there and try deep breathing, meditating, etc.. and keep going little by little. (Sorry for the gross details I'm about to share.. IBS is just a gross thing in general as we all know
) OK, this is where things start getting complicated.. I feel like I can't stop going. The urge remains and I can feel it in me, needing to come out, but it's not coming naturally. This has been the issue for months for me, but in the past I used to be able to control it better. It was always very uncomfortable, but the urge seemed to go away sooner. So when I'm on the toilet, it gets to the point where I know I have to keep going but I can't seem to push it out anymore, so I'll get up and kind of move around, bend my body in certain ways to try to strengthen the urge so I can relieve myself. Moving around like this ALWAYS makes the urge stronger.. but when I sit back down to try and go, it's just the same thing.. I can't go, and now the urge is even worse since I've moved around. I have tried to push sooo hard, and what happens (sorry this is gross..) is I'll basically get it stuck in my anus. I've pushed it so far to the entrance, but it just won't come out. At this point, I feel sick to my stomach because it's sitting there needing to come out. And it's so messy to wipe, ugh it just sickens me. So I'll end up having to go about my day with it sitting there, SO uncomfortable and just makes me feel like ####. Then, you'd think that because it's there, ready to come out, the next time I eat, it'll come right out.. right? Wrong. When I eat later, I'm usually too full to go sit on the toilet immediately and strain. I've tried it before, and it just makes me feel sick, because my stomach is full of food so it's very uncomfortable to try and push to have a bowel movement. But after I eat, the urge of course feels even worse since I've put more food in my stomach.. so I'm just left feeling more constipated. I've been really trying lately too, to move my bowels later in the day after my second meals.. like after I eat, I won't sit down because I know that'll make me constipated.. I move around, try to stay active.. and I definitely feel the urge, but it's not like that PUSHING urge like it'll definitely come out, not like how it is after breakfast for me. So, I usually just go the whole rest of the day with it sitting at what feels like the entrance of my anus, wanting to come out so badly. Basically what I've noticed for me, if it's not PUSHING to come out, it's useless for me to even try, because even if I do get some out, it won't be thorough, it'll be really messy to wipe, and I'll probably end up feeling worse than if I didn't try to go at all. It's just awful.. I don't know what to do. I want to be able to just relax after I eat.. not constantly walk around the house for 2 hours trying to move my bowels. Doing that also just makes my body so tired to the point where I'm too tired to even try to go anyway. It just sucks. I've taken enemas for this problem, which of course makes me go, but then just seems to irritate my symptoms and I'm still left with feeling that urge. Enemas aren't designed for people with IBS anyway, so it's not something for me to rely on.Another thing, I spend an average of 2-3 hours in the bathroom every time I have a bowel movement.. I've never really heard of anyone with IBS regularly spending that long in there. I've heard people spend 30 mins to an hour, but not 2-3 hours every time. It just consumes so much of my time, I hate it. Then by the time I'm out of there since it takes so long, I'm starving, but don't want to eat because that'll make me feel even crappier and more blocked. It's just horrible!Can anyone relate to this, or have any suggestions for me? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you sooo much for listening.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Often the pushing and pushing for hours on end even for a softer messy stool is more a pelvic floor issue than an IBS issue. Although you can have both going on.Have you had pelvic floor testing? Some people tighten the sphincter when they should be relaxing the sphincter and that can be retrained with biofeedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kathleen,Thank you for the reply. I have heard a lot about pelvic floor dysfunction, but I don't really know anything about it and no, have never gotten tested for it. I will consider it and look into it, thanks. What is biofeedback and what does it do?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Biofeedback is when they use some sort of machine to measure a parameter of the body and you use various techniques to learn how to change that parameter. It can be done for a wide range of conditions. I did it for migraines and they measured tension in the forehead and jaw. Once you learn how to get the body part to do the right thing (and for pelvic floor they measure the muscles down there so some people are a bit embarrassed by it until they get used to it) when you have a machine measuring it (so you know if you are doing the correct thing) then you can start to do it when you need to do it.So if you tense rather than relax when you try to have a BM you learn how to signal those muscles to relax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts